Kindergarten

Sarah19

Hi me and my family are moving over to Perth next year on a 189 visa so will be permanent residents. 

My youngest will be 3 when we move. Will she go to kindergarten? and do you get any free funded hours like you do in the uk? Just so I can work out childcare costs.

Thankyou for any help! 

In WA,  free Kindy is open to children who turn four years old before June 30th in the year of entry (term starts beginning of February). So, a three year old may only attend if they turn four before that date, they are very strict on this.

Kindy is not compulsory and applications for places normally open around June. Places do fill up very quickly. Each school is different in how they approach the hours. Some schools offer two whole days a week, whilst others offer two afternoons and two mornings.

The only other option is a Kindy program in paid day care or Kindy at a private schoiol.

Compulsory full time education is called Pre-Primary, the child has to turn five by June 30th for entry at the beginning of the same year. Schools have to offer a place to any child who is in the catchment area.

Edited by Sammy1