Confused about half shipping container

LaddermanUS

So we are hoping to move out to oz around end of November this year.  We have 5 kids, all under 14.  The plan is to ship out stuff 8 weeks before we go, live with not much in the Uk during that time, then only have to wait couple weeks once in 0z for out stuff. Hopefully getting it before xmas ! ! !

Have had several quotes. Mainly looking at doree bonner or Anglo Pacific.  Pacific are saying as they ship every 7-10 days to melbourne we should get out stuff quicker than if we ship with bonnor.  Pacific are also a little cheaper.

Confused as to what to do and which one would be best to use 

I have just shipped a shared container going the other way. The reality is they fill the containers with part loads, its not economically viable to ship empty space. So you have to wait for a corresponding load or loads that fill the rest of the container, if you have a 12ft shipment you need to be paired with 8ft of goods.  The good news is you are only charged for the amount of space you take up. That's why its cheaper.

As a result it's hard to accurately estimate the amount of time your goods will arrive. I was quoted 12  to 14 weeks and it turned out to be 17.

My advice would be to go with the cheapest and  allow extra time for shipping. There is no way of telling who will be quicker in, practice it could be either as it depends on what other loads they have at the time. You also need to factor in customs clearance which will take about 2 weeks. 

If shipping time is important to you ask to see the schedules, there can be a lot of difference.  We paid a bit more for a quicker ship.

Shared containers can sit around for weeks before they get shipped.  The shippers will tell you the quickest possible but ask about a realistic date.  If you don't ask they won't tell.

Tell them that speed is important, ours sent the shipping schedules to choose from and the corresponding pick up dates for our stuff.  If I hadn't asked they would have just put it on the one that was most convenient for them and it would have been at least 4 weeks longer.

Also take out independent insurance, cheaper and easier to claim on.  Letton Percival were good for us and we had to make a claim!

Bear in mind that towards Christmas it gets busy and the customs clearance can take longer.

Read the small print too, delivery and pick up will be 'standard'. High floors difficult access or a long driveway will all be extra.

If the quotes are completely like for like in all but transit time (e.g. they are providing the same services (any crating / dismantling etc.); have the same inclusions/exclusions; are quoting for the same volume; insurance fees etc.) then it comes down to your evaluation of their quality of customer experience (e.g. based on reviews you've read; your experience of their service so far; their professional qualification etc.) and how important that transit time is to you. As @rammygirlsays if this is your deciding factor then ask for the proposed sailing date and find out if there is any likelihood this could slip, is it estimated and could be more than 10 days if they struggle to fill the container or is this guaranteed? 

Hope that helps! 

• 2 weeks later...
So we are hoping to move out to oz around end of November this year.  We have 5 kids, all under 14.  The plan is to ship out stuff 8 weeks before we go, live with not much in the Uk during that time, then only have to wait couple weeks once in 0z for out stuff. Hopefully getting it before xmas ! ! !
Have had several quotes. Mainly looking at doree bonner or Anglo Pacific.  Pacific are saying as they ship every 7-10 days to melbourne we should get out stuff quicker than if we ship with bonnor.  Pacific are also a little cheaper.
Confused as to what to do and which one would be best to use 

Based on my logistics background, a full container will only contain your stuff. A half load will contain other people's be it companies, personal etc but you will only pay for what you use.

With regards to lead time it can depend and may change. We didn't s a freight to oz a lot so I'm not sure on usual time frame but the delays can be down to weather issues, also whether a shipment coming in is delayed etc they have dry sailing days so if they can't make one then it moves to another and this can be 2 weeks apart sometimes just depending on total load.

Hope this helps some

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz
  • Like 1