No IT networking jobs in melbourne?

Tomb

Hi All

I have been applying now for a long time for jobs in Melbourne ( I am in the Network Engineer/Administrator field) I have even changed my address to my uncle's address in melbourne, but still do not get any replies. I apply for at least 10 jobs per day. My qualifications is good and I have over 16 years experience working in IT Networking. I do not see what difference it will make if I have to resign my job just to come to the unknown. I am not willing to wait for months to get a job, and then probably have to start from the bottom. Is there a oversupply of IT people in Australia at the moment? Or why is it so hard? Not even getting ANY replies back.

Migrating can often mean taking a step back or down to get a foot in the door in the local market. Unless you are highly skilled and/or have something that other applicants cannot bring to the table then they may overlook you. Also if you have a visa but are not in Aus that could go against you. If you have no visa but are trying to land a job and get sponsorship, if there are decent local applicants, chances are they'll go to them first. It could be you need to go via employment agencies who can perhaps get you some temp or contract work to give you some Aus experience on your CV. 

Do you have an Aus email and phone number as well as an address? A TFN (you cannot get one of these till resident in Aus iirc). TBH putting an Aus address when you are not in Aus could present problems if you need to attend an interview quickly. I don't know how you would achieve that. 

The fact you are applying for 10 jobs a day suggests to me that you really aren't putting that much effort in to tailoring each application for the job you are applying for.  I probably spent 8-10 hours writing the application for my current job and I already worked for the organisation.  Most jobs will have criteria that the applicant has to meet and unless you specifically address those criteria you are unlikely to get very far as you are likely to be against people who have spent time addressing the criteria.  The place I work for forces you to do this as part of the job application process but even those places that don't will expect to be able to see clearly how you meet the criteria.  Rather than sending an application for every job you might be able to do select the roles that particularly match your skills and experience and spend some time tailoring your CV to demonstrate exactly the skills and experience the company are looking for and write a covering letter that addresses any criteria in the job spec. Or wait until you are hear and then go and talk to some agents who place people in your field.

I am going to assume from your post that you arent in Melbourne. If you arent here physically, with a local phone number and available to meet the recruiter in person to then, in a lot of cases, schedule an interview in the next few days then no agents will bother shortlisting you.

There are jobs, but there arent that many where agents will be happy to look at people who are outside the country or event city with perhaps no visa and need a long lead time to attend an interview in person

KnK

As has been covered above, if you are not here, you are going to struggle. I work for a Global IT company, and our team are actively recruiting for Network admins in Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide and Canberra. We are struggling to fill roles, so the jobs are there.

You may have better luck with speculative applications to companies rather than recruitment agents.