Driving licence cost

samwise

Hi you will have three months to do this, but is does help to have a local license for ID.  Check the transport SA website for details of whether you can simply swop your license or need to take tests, as this varies depending on your current license.

If it is a straight swop then just go to a service SA centre with some ID and your old license, fill in a form and pay for as many years as you want.  The license will be sent in the post a couple of weeks later.

All info is here

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/driving-and-transport/drivers-and-licences

I just checked and your country is not on the list which means you will have to take a theory, hazard and practical driving test before changing your license.  

Edited by rammygirl
  • Like 1

Well you won't need to get P plates and put in the supervised hours required to get a SA licence from scratch, but yes not a simple case of changing over.  The list of countries that can do this is quite short.  

You can drive on your overseas licence for 90 days, but it must have an English translation if not in English, after that you will need an Aussie one.

Edited by rammygirl
  • Like 1

My sister in law was in the same position when she moved over. She got on the road reasonably quickly once she had sorted the paperwork and sat the tests. She was rather nervous on the roads here to begin with and needed some time to get used to driving here before sitting the test but it was fine. 

you only need to change your licence if you are going to be a permanent resident. If you are on a temp visa, even a 457, you can continue to use your drivers licence.  I had a UK one and am here on a 457 so didn't need to change it, but it makes things easier when you have one, especially when you are buying a vehicle - you can easily do all registrations online. Insurance premiums are lower and its just easier to have a valid Aussie ID so I don't need to walk around with my passport. I got a 5 year licence which cost $178, got a temporary paper one on the spot and the photo card arrived about 5 days later. 

• Like 1