Photo and Nationality on CV. Do or a dont?

OZnewbie

Hi All,

I've just recently relocated from the UK ( but have worked in multiple EU countries in the past decade)  to Sydney, and am now actively looking for work. Throughout my working history, I have always had a photo on my CV. My background is in admin support, Executive Assistant / Business Development Assistant type roles so these always required a certain level or representation and or were client and board facing. What is the view in Australia? Do you put a photo on your CV? 

Also, what about listing nationality?  I was actually raised in Canada but as I left when I was 17, my university education nor my professional experience reflect this....because I've worked in multiple countries, speak 3 languages it's not really clear where I am from...which creates another question....is it actually relevant? 

Thanks

I would not submit a photo with CV personally  I know in Europe it is regular, but unless you feel it advantage to your application (don't know, stunning looks for example) I wouldn't.

I have never found speaking languages other than English, particularly helpful in the slightest and overseas education and experience only marginally acknowledged. Local experience is what is usually preferred and suspicion cast on overseas experience , especially if not of more known UK or NZ employment backgrounds.

12 minutes ago, seraphim said:

Not normal in Europe either.

In short, not ever for a professional role.

I do not totally agree or disagree with you that it's not 'normal' in Europe. It may not be normal in the sense that it is not mandatory, but I've been in the recruiting industry the Netherlands at one point in time and the CVs which did not have a photo would be placed at the bottom of the pile as 'backups'.. Having also been involved in supporting Executive Management in the past and having insight into their interview process, CVs with a picture gave insight into how much pride an applicant takes in their professional presentation so these CVs would be favored as then the management would not feel like they waste time with someone who although may qualified, but would turn up looking like a total mess and hence would not be suitable for a client facing role. 

11 minutes ago, OZnewbie said:

I do not totally agree or disagree with you that it's not 'normal' in Europe. It may not be normal in the sense that it is not mandatory, but I've been in the recruiting industry the Netherlands at one point in time and the CVs which did not have a photo would be placed at the bottom of the pile as 'backups'.. Having also been involved in supporting Executive Management in the past and having insight into their interview process, CVs with a picture gave insight into how much pride an applicant takes in their professional presentation so these CVs would be favored as then the management would not feel like they waste time with someone who although may qualified, but would turn up looking like a total mess and hence would not be suitable for a client facing role. 

I have a suspicion you'll find yourself open to a fair work case here by  discarding on that criteria, but up to you.  What I know is, having recruited 8 times in the last 2 months for professional level roles, I question the thought processes of a someone who thinks a photo is appropriate. I want to know about experience, application of knowledge, and skillset.  I'd rather people be able to spell and proof read than look good in a head shot!

And, having come from Europe, I never needed to put a photo on a CV OR knew anyone else in 14 years who did either.  In fact, I got both job offers via Skype interview when I moved out here, so appearance is irrelevant, but maybe it's industry dependant. I've just never heard of it being a wise idea in a professional environment.

Thanks for your feedback.... it wasn't me making the decisions on the applicants btw ... :) just to be clear... it's probably industry dependent.. I know for IT industry it's not something you do....

As someone who filled positions recently, what are your views on the local experience.... would you disregard an application if it did not include local experience? I pressume  this may be industry dependent as well... 

No, definitely not.  BUT

If you have no local experience (or academic only and not practical experience), it is CRITICAL to not just list a lot of 'facts'.  The recruiters already know the law/system/role requirements they are looking for.  What is crucially important is to relate the experience YOU have to what they are looking for.

so, rather than "I know about IT" (rubbish), or (I use MS office) (just as bad). If they want someone to know a particular skill set, and you CAN learn it but currently use something else, explain how what you know fits their requirements, so "I currently use X applications in my work to do Y, Z, and am able to transfer this skill to the (system the advert is looking for), as there are parallels between this package (X) and your package (A).  Or something similar. It shows the applicant has looked at our needs, and their skills, to see what they can offer the company in return for salary, training etc.  I would not exclude someone who didn't have local experience, IF they made the experience they DID have relevant to the role. I would exclude someone who HAD experience but was too lazy/stupid/applying above their competence level, to translate what they knew into what we needed.

One last thing:

Generic CV's.  These are great for cluttering up the bin. If you don't tailor a CV, the reader can tell, and away it goes.  Life is too short to employ idle people!.  By all means have a few CV's for different role types, BUT make sure you spend even a few minutes customising each one, it will pay off in terms of getting to the interview stage.

Another last thing. Don't just say 'see resume'.  If you can't be bothered to fill in the application, I can't be bothered to read your CV!

• Like 2

Thanks Seraphim!, I have heard that from other job seekers in Sydney of the importance of customising your resume specifically for the role.... even though to me it's a bit of a no brainer, I know most people don't think about it.. It takes me about 45 minutes to 1 hour to apply for each position as on top of my CV, I also take the time to write a customised cover letter for each position... 

Just started searching this week so let's see if my approach will pay off.

1 hour ago, seraphim said:

Not normal in Europe either.

In short, not ever for a professional role.

I don't know where in Europe you refer but was certainly advised when I applied for a position initially. Has that changed? My partner as well, European, had a photo a standard practise in her resume.

May be industry dependent but I recall I was rather taken back having to submit a photograph on grounds of discrimination.

From past experience in the area, it is rather difficult to pinpoint exactly the correct way to submit a resume. It depends on whom is doing the reading. It can be a lottery to say the least. When there are dozens of applicants, perhaps hundreds, the reader often has 'own' peculiarities in assessing. Of course few will admit but agree a 'stand out resume may just catch the eye, meaning at least looked at.