Insurance for Shipping

Beffers

Usually this is worked out as a % of your value of goods for international shipping but that % varies depending on what shipping company you use. As well as the initial premium don't forget to check the excess and any exclusions i.e. mould and mildew, pairs and sets or mechanical issues to make sure you're comparing like for like cover. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 23/06/2017 at 12:30, SimonandSian said:

Is mould damage normally covered with shipping insurance? 

I take it from this thread that it is better to get insurance from a third party rather than the shipping company? for cost reasons and better if there is reason to claim?

Many thanks 

Hi @SimonandSian just saw this and thought I'd mention Letton Percival do have mould cover as standard. I investigated shipping insurance and also independent and independent won each time.

• 5 weeks later...
On 22/07/2017 at 20:29, Ozzie said:

Hi @SimonandSian just saw this and thought I'd mention Letton Percival do have mould cover as standard. I investigated shipping insurance and also independent and independent won each time.

Thank you! 

I have just had the disclaimer to sign for our shipping company as we are going to go with Letton too - bit daunting as it reads like they absolve themselves of any blame! Presume its standard

6 hours ago, SimonandSian said:

Thank you! 

I have just had the disclaimer to sign for our shipping company as we are going to go with Letton too - bit daunting as it reads like they absolve themselves of any blame! Presume its standard

Other people have posted recently saying the same re their shipping company and all the disclaimers they were given for opting for an independent insurance. 

I'd say it was standard to cover themselves. 

Honestly, independent is much better IMHO. I've not read any horror stories from people making claims when using one. I have read many when people make claims against the shipping companies insurance and how it drags on and every £ or $ being claimed is fought for.

You can read plenty of feedback on the forum I am sure :)

On 21/08/2017 at 03:57, snifter said:

Other people have posted recently saying the same re their shipping company and all the disclaimers they were given for opting for an independent insurance. 

I'd say it was standard to cover themselves. 

Honestly, independent is much better IMHO. I've not read any horror stories from people making claims when using one. I have read many when people make claims against the shipping companies insurance and how it drags on and every £ or $ being claimed is fought for.

You can read plenty of feedback on the forum I am sure :)

Thanks snifter, just wanted the reassurance really! not doubting our choice to go with letton at all now. Insurance in place and packing begins tomorrow!