Bribie Island

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

Can someone please tell me what I'm missing? I had heard wonderful things about the island and decided to visit it. For some reason I had pictured it like Green Island but with a few houses and hardly any infrastructure. It was just like any other suburb in Brisbane, even had the maccas and shopping centres. What did the old Bribie look like? I'm not knocking it for anyone who lives there but I think I built it up in my mind to be this paradise island

Long stretch of surf beach on the eastern side with the Western side being totally different and more like an estuary. Easy access to offshore fishing for the biggies on the Eastern side with plenty of places to explore by tinny for inshore species and mud crab haunts. Abundance of varying wildlife and wild camping in the state forest (fourby only) although the access fee is bloody ridiculously high. Visiting migrating birds hard to find elsewhere totaling a population of 350 species.

Other than that, I visit, but wouldn't live there for a gold clock............I think the place is a dump :-)

I lived on the east side of Bribie- In woorim - for a year in 1999 when I worked in Caboolture Hospital- I loved it - used to go running on the beach before work and look for pods of dolphins, and dugongs under the bridge. It was beautiful but oh my god it used to just SHUT at 6pm.   No where to eat, one cinema in a shed where you got to choose the film and the man running it used to bring out mugs of tea on a tray half way through, no where to go for a beer, and the roads used to just clog up on pension day - I seem to remember there was a special driving license for pensioners to drive on pension day only - but perhaps the isolation is making me mis-remember :))  I guess it must have changed a bit since then.......

Well, it must have made an impression because all these years later me and OH are trying to come back!

Edited by Thom4444
  • Like 1