Preparing a partner visa!

KLeanne

Hi all, 

Just wondering if it is possible and worth it to start preparing my partnership Visa here in England offshore, so that when I get back to Australia I can submit it straight away? We have a daughter together and have been together for 2.5yrs, so this would save is a lot of time, but I'm hoping it won't be frowned upon by the Australian Government, can they tell that I would have started and saved the application? I've heard mixed and confusing statements? 

Any  help or advice is greatly appreciated! 

Many thanks!! 

• Like 1

Apply for it offshore now. How are you going to get your DH in so that he is onshore when you apply? They don't like people who rock up on a tourist visa then decide they want to stay. Apply offshore, get the visa then all go together

• Like 2

Yes was considering that option, but we've already been apart for a year, and I was told it could take up to 17 months if apply offshore, and by then our daughter will be 3, so he will miss out on a lot of time with her. I was told by a migration solicitor that as long as my visa has not got a "no further stay" on it, it's fine. 

Apply for it in England, offshore is faster processing. I was advised by Service Centre last month that I could travel to Aus on a 651 visitor visa on a "reccie" until my partner visa was granted. They said as long as I inform Immigration of my plans, it wouldn't affect my partner visa application. 

Flipside to that is having to book an onward flight rather than one way, having to leave every 3 months for.a few days, and not being able to work, but we would have been together as a family. However my offshore partner visa, granted yesterday, took 3 months from start to finish so am able to travel on PR next month. 

• Like 1

thats great, i applied for a tourist visa valid for 12 months back in Feb and now have applied for 309/100 partner visa, I didnt realise ho expensive it is but will be worth it. Anyway have filled it in and now to attach all the supporting documents. Do you think If i take photos of my documents and attach them to the application that will be good enough?.

Also has anyone has the medical check- i don't like needles so was it ok?

• Like 2

Wow that's really fast! I was told up to 17 months!? My partner is really not keen on waiting that long, he's already missed so much, and he thinks it'll be expensive to leave every 3 months. So really not sure on what to do! Do you think it'll be ok with them if I travel on the tourist visa then apply partnership?
I was told it was fine as long as it doesn't have the no further stay, but I'm just really wanting to get everything right.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KLeanne said:

Has anyone done it this way around, going to Aus on the tourist visa then applying for the partnership visa?

If you go to Aus on tourist visa and apply onshore, it depends on tourist visa and any conditions like no further stay.   They also will not like it as you've entered as a tourist but in a misleading way, cos that's not your real intention. I wouldn't do it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kami said:

thats great, i applied for a tourist visa valid for 12 months back in Feb and now have applied for 309/100 partner visa, I didnt realise ho expensive it is but will be worth it. Anyway have filled it in and now to attach all the supporting documents. Do you think If i take photos of my documents and attach them to the application that will be good enough?.

Also has anyone has the medical check- i don't like needles so was it ok?

Scan your documents in, colour copies. They won't accept black and white unless they're all notarised by a solicitor. Colour scans can be uncertified. Don't know thag photos will be good enough quality but someone else may well comment. 

Try to get your docs loaded up within first two weeks. It appears that applications go thru some kind of triage. I had my docs uploaded within a week and was contacted end of that week and medicals requested.  

Medical includes a blood test so there is a needle. I don't like needles either but it was fine. Other than that, it was blood pressure, urine sample, chest x ray, height, weight etc. 

I was told by my case officer that mine was a really well put together application, and I wasn't asked for any additional info, other than poloce checks and meds.  I scanned in documents in groups, so one PDF contained 80 individual pages, all annotated, for financial evidence. I had another of these files for social evidence, etc. 

Good luck with the process!!! 

Thank you for your reply. Yes that was my initial hesitation, but I've had a solicitor who has advised me to do it that way saying that most of her clients do it that way if they are in families and can't be a part for that long. My visa does not have a no further stay on the conditions.

• Like 1

Do not do anything with your application till you are in Australia. You are planning on going over on a tourist visa and if you have already opened a partner visa account and uploaded the paperwork from the UK before arriving in Australia does not really show true intent of the tourist visa conditions. 

If you go over on a tourist visa and plan to lodge on shore, get the documents couriered over to you once there or email the colour scans to yourself and then download and attach them to your partner visa application when you are in Aus and ready to begin the process. Then start your application from there. I am not sure photos are acceptable for documents. You can colour scan documents at a library for a small fee I would think. 

You say solicitor. Do you mean migration agent? If you are using a migration agent, they handle your application so you need to not do anything to jeopardize their handling of it. 

When are you planning on going to Australia? If its not for another 5-6 months I'd lodge off shore asap and it may well be granted before you leave as they seem to be whizzing through them at present. If leaving sooner, depending on timeframe, you could also lodge beforehand and head to Aus on the tourist visa and wait out the grant there. And then go off shore when it is due to be granted or when the tourist visa is due to expire, and then either head back to the UK for a while or re enter Aus as per the conditions of the 3 month tourist visa stay. 

Or do the on shore application but only start it or open an account once you get to Aus. Keep in mind on shore wait times have increased and you could be waiting almost 2 years for a decision apparently. 

Thanks for your response! I've opened an application, but I've opened an offshore one, as it asked for my current address, and when I got there I was going to change the details, and apply onshore. I haven't uploaded anything, was just filling out mine and my partners info, then was planning on saving it until I got to Aus. Yes, I meant Migrant agent. I was going to use one but decided not to. She told me to apply onshore via tourist visa, as otherwise we could be facing a 17 month wait. She told me they are currently granting onshore applications faster. We were planing on getting out for late aug/early sept. Do you think it's worth lodging it offshore, or applying onshore?

I'd say look at our partner visa thread and see the current off shore grant times. Many are getting them inside of a few months. Of course some take longer but the longest wait time isn't as close to the onshore processing time which is now potentially a couple of years. I don't know where the agent was getting 17 months processing time offshore from the UK at present.

If you are not going till August or Sept then lodge off shore asap and it could well be granted by the time you leave. Or soon after and you simply need to go off shore for the grant then. 

Join our partner visa thread and you'll see what's what with others. And hopefully learn from them and be ok to lodge off shore. 

The tourist visa if you lodge on shore will be a total lie in terms of you've already opened an account and showing an intent to apply for a partner visa. I'd really not risk that. 

Also keep in mind that visa fee may go up in July. Or they will make changes to the process (it's been discussed by an agent on here and is a very real possibility) and you may find onshore application tougher or have more stringent requirements for both sponsor and applicant.  

Get going with an off shore application asap is what I would suggest. Don't risk they could move the goal posts again re applying later in he year and you being stuck or it taking longer then. 

Thank you. Yes I may just apply offshore in that case. I did also check out the processing time on the border website and it does say 17 months. I don't really want to take any risks.

• Like 1

Have a read of this. It gives global processing times only that I can see. 

http://uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/immi_processing_times.html

As I said, check the partner visa thread and see what turnaround times people have been getting. They are not set in stone times but it's a good indication they are moving through them reasonably well. If you lodge a full application with all the evidence required etc and undertake medical and get police check there is nothing more to be done till a decision is made on the visa. 

Its a shame you've not lodged already and gotten it in and going if planning to move later in the year. I realise it may not have been possible till now. One thing, you being apart, are there good reasons for this and can you support your application to show this? That would be an area to cover properly. 

Eta - it may be worth contacting another agent to run your case past them and see what they say. I'm wary as you have been apart from your partner and other things and I think you need to ensure you are proceeding correctly. 

Snifter how do I find that thread. I think I've made up my mind that I'll apply here, and then could I still go over in September on my tourist visa and wait there? I don't want to be deceitful and lie, it's not a good start lol and this is way to important to take risks. Wasn't aware of the costs possibly going up.

• Like 1

Thank you! You've been so helpful, appreciate it. Yes I would hate them to think I've been a liar, so I've decided to apply here ASAP (as soon as partner hurries up with his details!) and then hopefully still travel in August in the meantime, everyone over there have their hopes up of seeing the baby now.

• Like 1

Oh I've only just seen this full message. Yes, legitimate reasons for being apart, I had to come back for family reasons soon after the baby was born. My partner also came over for 3 months and stayed with me within that year. He's been supporting us financially, so we will prove that with statements, we have cards, messages etc back and forth, so I will try to upload all of those. So hopefully that'll be enough, in terms of that. The fact he came to stay with us for 3 months speaks volumes I think. Yes, I most likely seek more advice from a different migrant agent. I wish we had applied sooner, but we just simply couldn't afford it!

Hey Beffers, can I just ask, where did you travel to every 3 months, and how long for? Did it work out pricey? Going to take this route, so just wondering, working out tickets wise. Hoping to get application in for end of May!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, KLeanne said:

Hey Beffers, can I just ask, where did you travel to every 3 months, and how long for? Did it work out pricey? Going to take this route, so just wondering, working out tickets wise. Hoping to get application in for end of May!

Thankfully I didn't have to do the 3 month thing as my grant came thru last week, but I had been looking at NZ and/or Bali.