short term/holiday rentals

maverick79

We (me, hubby & 5 year old) are due to move to Australia around October this year on 189 visas already validated. Currently thinking we might try Melbourne first and if hubby gets a job then we'll stay (his job is more city based - internal auditor -  whereas mine is more commonly found anywhere-podiatrist). We're in a position where we can arrive 'on holiday' for about 4-6 weeks so if no job happens we can move to a different city. Thought i'd put this out to see if anyone has advice on finding somewhere decent to stay within the Melbourne city vicinity that doesn't cost the earth like hotel prices, or any other advice regarding moving to Melbourne like family friendly areas etc.

Thanks

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @maverick79 welcome to the forum. Your best bet would be a short term rental, one of our members as this property https://www.pomsinoz.com/topic/187517-short-term-self-contained-studio-near-melbourne-available-emerald-dandenong-ranges/

Also look at caravan sites like the Big4 chain, although a holiday rental would still work out cheaper.

To be honest I think 4-6 weeks isn't giving you a lot of time to secure a job, unless you start getting some interviews lined up before you leave. For most people it can take up to 6 months. 

I personally love the SE Melbourne area, places like Berwick, Mornington, Mt Eliza. Berwick caters for everyone, some excellent schools, Fountain Gate shopping centre 10 minutes away and 30 mins to the beach. It also as the train in to the city. 

If you have any questions on Melbourne please ask away. 

Thank you for the reply, funnily enough i was looking at this rental a few days ago. with regards to the job situation we are looking now and starting the process of getting in contact with recruitment agencies etc. when we visited sydney in 2015 an agent told us that we had to be in the country for a better chance of securing interviews and that applying for jobs outside of australia was pointless as the employer would have to prove why they were not employing someone already in the country...would you agree or is it worth us going for everything that might be suitable now? 

Hi Maverick,

Congrats on the decision to move over.  Airbnb is a good bet for looking somewhere short term.  For a 4-6 week stay, you may be able to negotiate a lower rate.

The other thing that occurs to me is the timing of your move.  Australia (& particularly recruitment in professional services like your husband) tends to slow down a bit from about mid Nov through the silly season and school holidays to about mid Jan/Australia day (a lot of decision makers are away a lot in Dec/Jan).  You may be lucky but there is a fair to reasonable chance that it could be Feb 2018 before he finds works (if he hasn't found something by mid/end of Feb, it's likely to be Feb), can't talk to your profession.  It's worth thinking about, maybe coming a little earlier (early/mid Sept) or delaying to Jan.  Your hubbie should be ok in Sydney or Melborne, it may just take some time, allow for 6 months.

Definitely have better chances of jobs when you are on the ground but no harm looking online/contacting agencies from about August on.  I hired somebody from the UK last year via phone interview (actually turned out to be a mistake but that's another story - she was a nightmare)

Good luck,

Col

Guest The Pom Queen
On 14/04/2017 at 2:59 AM, maverick79 said:

Thank you for the reply, funnily enough i was looking at this rental a few days ago. with regards to the job situation we are looking now and starting the process of getting in contact with recruitment agencies etc. when we visited sydney in 2015 an agent told us that we had to be in the country for a better chance of securing interviews and that applying for jobs outside of australia was pointless as the employer would have to prove why they were not employing someone already in the country...would you agree or is it worth us going for everything that might be suitable now? 

I agree you do need to be on the ground and they won't consider you for a job without you already being here. However, there is nothing stopping you using a generic email address and not actually mentioning that you haven't arrived yet. If you get called for an interview then you may have to be prepared for one of you to come earlier, ask for a Skype interview, or admit you haven't touched down on Aussie soil yet.