Renting in Sydney: Furnished or Unfurnished ?

Guest Richard Goodwin

Guest Richard Goodwin

We are moving to Sydney at the end of September for 2 years. Not sure at the moment whether to ship/store furniture. Are most places to rent furnished or unfurnished ? If unfurnished, who are good to ship with and what sort of cost would you be looking at for a 1 bed house move ? If furnished, any idea of storage costs in the UK ?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Crossley Family

Hi Richard!

I'm really new to this forum stuff, can't even work out how to post a question!! We're moving to Sydney mid August all being well - just waiting on the visa! We're looking to rent a large family house and have found virtually all are unfurnished!! We have therefore looked into different storage facilities. They all seem to be similar, all I'd say is go and have a look around the different ones, get quotes and haggel! as it seems to be a very competative market!

Shipping companies - we were recommended both Robinsons and Sterling. Both seemed very professional but we have gone with the former as they were about 20% cheaper. - They come and pack next week, guess we won't know till then what they're really like!!

(sorry about the bad spelling - it's too late!)

Hope that's helpful?

Guest mutikonka

Rental places in Sydney are all unfurnished, except for a cooker. Whether it's worth shipping your furniture over here [and storing it until you find a place to live] is for you to decide.

Guest Attar66

There are a few places that are furnished but they tend to be flats rather than houses, it's worth looking on Gumtree as this seems to be where private landlords rather than rental agencies post. It is possible to rent all your furniture in Oz which is unusual in the UK. Not sure on prices but I have seen sites (I haven't saved any as I looked months ago). That may be an option to consider as It would avoid the short term cashflow of having to buy all your furniture straight away.

Archived