Handing in notice without Visa grant?

How many of you have handed your notice into work before being granted the PR visa?? My employer has been very understanding & knows since I started the application last September. However, I have a three month notice period which I have to give formally. My lease is up on our flat on the 16th July so we don't want to fork out more agency fees, deposit and have another contract for at least 6 months- if we have the visa by then!! Plus we live in london and in my past experience we've not been able to get a rolling contact to follow fixed term. I was planning on finishing work at the end of June first week of July. So by next week I should hand my notice in, I'm just worried that if I don't have the visa by then, I'll have shot myself in the foot with no job. Am I being too cautious?? I lodged 189 app on the 21/02 and had req for further info on 08/03 (PTE & Form80). ? Ideally if I got a rolling contract is wait until the visa comes to hand notice to work but it's so tricky to get that here. We've asked the agent so let's see. I'd be interested to know what others have done in this situation??

TIA ;)  

What are your points and occupation? Which processing centre is dealing with your application? I only ask because your dates are really similar to mine in terms of being asked for more info and uploading your medical etc. I have 65 points and under the Brisbane office. I uploaded final docs on 3/3 and got my grant on 20/3.

It's a tricky predicament you're in. I don't know what advice to give, sounds like you are looking at the right kind of things by requesting rolling contact etc. 

I'll keep everything crossed for you!

On 31/03/2017 at 0:55 PM, klr81 said:

What are your points and occupation? Which processing centre is dealing with your application? I only ask because your dates are really similar to mine in terms of being asked for more info and uploading your medical etc. I have 65 points and under the Brisbane office. I uploaded final docs on 3/3 and got my grant on 20/3.

It's a tricky predicament you're in. I don't know what advice to give, sounds like you are looking at the right kind of things by requesting rolling contact etc. 

I'll keep everything crossed for you!

Hi Klr81,

Thanks for your reply. My occupation is Childcare Centre Manager and I have 65 points. Office dealing with my application is Adelaide. My partner and I lived in Australia in 2009/2010 on WHV and we had the second year too for doing farm work so I suspect they are chasing this up too. I guess we just have to sit patiently and hope for the best. I really wish they had a clear system in place, e.g. have a numbered system of your visa process 'stage one checks completed, stage two checks completed, waiting on information' etc so you know where you stand. I am still awaiting landlord to get back to us re rolling contract so I am really hoping this is an option. I don't want to be stupid and hand in notice without anything to fall back on especially after working for them for 4 years :( Congrats on your grant you must be delighted. When and where are you headed?

On 03/04/2017 at 5:48 AM, Dragonflygecko said:

Hi Klr81,

Thanks for your reply. My occupation is Childcare Centre Manager and I have 65 points. Office dealing with my application is Adelaide. My partner and I lived in Australia in 2009/2010 on WHV and we had the second year too for doing farm work so I suspect they are chasing this up too. I guess we just have to sit patiently and hope for the best. I really wish they had a clear system in place, e.g. have a numbered system of your visa process 'stage one checks completed, stage two checks completed, waiting on information' etc so you know where you stand. I am still awaiting landlord to get back to us re rolling contract so I am really hoping this is an option. I don't want to be stupid and hand in notice without anything to fall back on especially after working for them for 4 years :( Congrats on your grant you must be delighted. When and where are you headed?

Yes I know, the 'assessment in progress' status gets so boring! We still have the long game to play yet. I have another years contract in my current job, which will only finish July 2018. We are in S.E.Asia though so we can quite cheaply and easily get over for a visa activation holiday in August and then potentially revisit whilst looking for jobs. Can't really start looking for jobs until next year though so feeling a bit in limbo. Not as bad as the limbo you feel whilst waiting for the grant though, so I'm not complaining!

• 2 weeks later...

Our grant took 6 months to come and it was a very simple, straight forward application. 

I knew when we got it, we wouldn't have had much time left to validate our visa's in Australia (as we had not sold our business so 1 way ticket wasnt an option) I booked the flights and remember thinking that I was mad doing it before the grants had come in....if we didnt get them we wold have to go on a very expensive holiday (look at what you could have won kind of thing!) But literally a week after the grants eventually came through...good job really.

Dont think I would be as brave as to hand in my notice though.  Good luck  x x x