Learning to drive in Oz

Guest James2391

Guest James2391

Hi all

Just wondering if any of you could shed some light on this for me.

I am due to start driving in the UK in November, but i will be moving to Oz late September. So do i have to apply for the provisional driving licence here in the Uk then take it to Oz with me or can i just apply for the provisional licence in Oz.

Thanks

:smile:James:smile:

Hi James,

not sure what would be best for you, so have a peek at

RTA Home Page

Learner licence (the learners page) perhaps it would also be a good idea to check with the DVLA too as an english licence is always good & im not sure but once you have passed your test you could be entitled to a uk drivers licence which is always great for european driving, (as the aussies have to apply for an international licence if they wanna drive outside of oz (& whos knows where you mat be travelling too, best to cover all options)

good luck

stuju

Guest Ruby Okim

Hi James,

Unfortunately you can't convert the learner licence - you'll need to do a simple computer road safety questionnaire before you can get your licence. Just pop into your local State office when you get here to book an appointment. Which state will you be moving to?

Guest ellie2

Hi James, it may be better to apply for your provisional if you are thinking of going to Queensland, our daughter waited till she got here and thought she had to take the road rules test then could have lots of lessons and then take her driving test. But they changed the rules last year and now a learner driver has to hold the learners licence for a year before they take their test, if she had already applied for her provisional she could have taken her test earlier. I think this only applies to Queensland.

Christine

Archived