Car Insuarnce

mullsey

Hi

Can anyone please tell me if car insurance in Australia is similar to that in the UK. By similar I mean if you were to buy a fully comp policy would that policy allow you to drive another vehicle. If so would you also be covered fully comp or would you only be covered 3rd party in the other vehicle.

Thanks for any responses

Most policys over here seem to be for any driver (mine is over 25),so anyone is insured for it anyway ,meaning if someone else has fully comp you should be covered on their policy ,my fully comp is $500 ish a year and my rego(compulsary 3rd party) is also $52o something per year ,hope this helps

Cal x

Guest The Pom Queen

I just called AAMI in regards to this today and if a car owner has fully comp then any driver is covered to drive that vehicle if they are over 25years old. There was no excess to pay. I am not sure if this is the norm for all insurance companies so it may be worth asking.

Guest Jaynie

I work in the Insurance industry and the question you are asking is a little misleading to some of the replies you have received.

If you own a car here and comprehensively insure your car, most of the companies over here will cover you for any driver over 25yrs as long as you give them permission to drive it, they have a valid license and are not under the influence of alcohol or drugs should an accident occur.

What I think you are asking is this......If you have insurance on your vehicle, will your insurance cover you for driving someone elses vehicle? The answer is NO, their insurance would cover you provided they have the cover in the first place. In NSW the only cover you need legally is CTP and this only covers for injury to people and not the car itself.

Hope this clears up your enquiry, if you have any other questions, PM me and I will try to answer them for you.

• 1 month later...
Guest Dougie & Louise

Has anyone any links to on-line insurers? can i get a quote online while stile in the UK

Was just after a bit of info regarding prices for what type of car i can get etc etc

Also my wife has a DD conviction (tut tut :embarrassed:) would this effect or need to be mentioned by law if she was to drive my car on my full comp policy like the one mentioned above??

TIA

Dougie

Guest Jaynie

Hi,

If the DUI was in the last 5yrs then YES you have to disclose it to the insurer, they then decide if they will cover her whilst she is driving, you will have to provide the reading and if she lost her license for how long.

www.nrma.com.au

www.aami.com.au

Are a couple of the big insurers over here, this should give you some idea of the prices, it also depends on Year of Car, Make of Car, where you live and your Age for the quote, these are the main factors. Foreign cars tend to be higher to insure, so do your homework on the insurance front before buying your car when you come over.

Also bring over proof of you NCB to pass on, the company I work for do not need to see this proof as we rely on your driving experience and history, but some companies may insist. Another thing to remember is to bring over your 'Roadside assistance membership' as they are reciprocal and you can join over here getting the joining fee waived and keeping the number of years you have accrued.

Archived