Visiting Melbourne in March to have a look around, any tips?? thanks

MissionMelbourne

Hi All,

My girlfriend and I are currently looking at the possibility of making the move to Melbourne, Australia, and we have planned a 3 and a half week trip to Australia to have a look around to decide if its something we want to pursue. We are mainly looking at the Melbourne area for its climate, lifestyle, earnings and house prices. Having never been to Melbourne before we have done a basic case study on the suburb of Brookfield (rated 4th best suburb on Homely) and a looked at houses within that suburb as a start point for our fact finding mission. We are not too bothered about heading to the beach every day, we favour a mountain bike ride over a beach day so being slightly more inland would be perfect for us. We are staying in an apartment in Southbank for around 9 days in March / April and plan to rent a car to have a look around and travel to se a few sights, so bearing in mind our good travel options, is there anything anyone suggests we experience / go to see / do whilst we are in Melbourne to help us make our minds up? As much as we want to do the touristy bits we mainly want to experience the real Melbourne and go to some local areas and experience the local life rather than stay downtown drinking in cocktail bars thinking everything is wonderful there. Sorry to be so basic but having never been to the City or its suburbs we really are starting from scratch, thanks very much, we would appreciate any tips or advice at all, positive or negative, thanks again!

you must take a drive up mt dandenong, and go to grants birdfeeding park. the drive is stunning . on the way there are quaint tea rooms and villages. also visit sasafrass at the top. we live very close by and its the best place ive found yet

make sure you do your research on jobs , its very hard to get a job. if you have no exp, or less than 5 years forgot it.

rents are costly and its a nightmare trying to find a house to rent.

good luck!

Edited by 99redballs

Guest Priscilla101

I've been living inhampton for the last 4 months. There is such a wide variety about what is "normal life" my daughter and I go most weekends somewhere- Dandenong with the mountains, 1000 steps, Marysville. Or the beach. The cbd. Philip island. What I've found is some locals have never left 20km from their house. Others do more. There is no normal here. But it's great. Explore all you can

Melbourne is awesome! I worked and lived in Melbourne for almost 2 years mostly in the eastern suburbs and have been back 2 since. Like a few have said here dandenong is a really nice drive up and sweet views. I love the woods out there and the yarra valley. ( Hopefully moving middle of the year) Im a biker too, check out lysterfield in the eastern suburbs, The yew yangs in the north out of the city and then theres Buller to the east about 2.5hrs away.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk