To become a Permanent resident?

Mrsteacher

Hi everyone,

looking for some advice please :-) currently on a 457 and trying to decide whether to get PR or not. I'm on a career break from my job at home, can take up to 5 consecutive years. I've already taken 4 years and thinking about taking the 5th year and getting PR. The only problem is I won't have got citizenship before returning home. I'm unsure whether I will be happy if I return to my job at home so would like the option to return if I want. I've heard off a friend about a colleague of hers who applied for citizenship from London and did the test there and returned to Australia for the ceremony. Has anyone else heard of this happening? If so this could be an option. If I got PR and moved home for 1/2 years could I still return to Australia as a permanent resident or what rules are there about leaving the country for this length of time?

any help or advice would really be appreciated as I'm very confused as to what I should do. I know I'm very lucky to have these options, I just don't want to make the wrong decision.

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming you are transitioning from your 457 to a 186 visa so long as you come back within 5 years your visa is valid.

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/186-

This is a permanent residence visa. It lets you and any member of your family unit who has also been granted this visa:

• stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
  • sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia).

1 of the requirements to apply for citizenship: not have been absent out of Australia for 90 days in the year immediately before applying. So answer is no for citizenship.

I would suggest to do this process step by step: first apply for PR as this is indispensable before I would even waste a thought about citizenship.

Why bother about citizenship if your plans are to return to your home country anyway