We Are Moving!!!

mandyD

There are several good caravan parks around. But stay away from Cairns Villa and Leisure. It has the reputation as one of the most frequently visited locations in Cairns by the police due to violence.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Duly noted, cheers.

We love Cairns. For us it is the perfect climate, lifestyle and professional opportunities.

We have chosen to live in the urban suburbs, as it is <10 minutes home after an evening shift. Rather than the 20-40 minutes to the beaches or outer southern suburbs. Or 40-60+ minutes to the Atherton Tablelands. We feel that we are also better protected from cyclones.

While some of the suburbs are lovely, I think that it will mean that you both will need motorised transport. Buses are not so nearly as well provided in Cairns, as the urban UK. Scooters or motorcycles are a real every day option here though.

It is not so much difficult, but rather will take some flexibility and speedy responsiveness to get accommodation that is very good value for money. I would suggest that you start emailing, or even phoning real estate agents from the UK, so that you feature in their mind when something is coming on the market that may suit.

I know hardly anything about schools on the beaches. Both our children are in an alternative Steiner school in Kuranda.

Hi,

My husband, 9 year old daughter, the dog and myself are moving from Wales to Townsville at the end of January (hopefully)!!!

We are torn between settling in Cairns or Townsville, so plan on visiting both. We were over in Australia in July but that was to have a look at Adelaide which we found to be too cold!!! not the issue we're going to get with Townsville / Cairns by the looks of things!

Some information on best family areas to live and good state schools would be gratefully received. I have researched quite a bit online but nothing beats personal recommendations. also we will need to go into a short term let when we arrive, and again any sign posting to that from personal experience would be a big help.

Thanks in advance

Mandy

Good for your mandyD! Exciting times for you all.

B

We love Cairns. For us it is the perfect climate, lifestyle and professional opportunities.

We have chosen to live in the urban suburbs, as it is <10 minutes home after an evening shift. Rather than the 20-40 minutes to the beaches or outer southern suburbs. Or 40-60+ minutes to the Atherton Tablelands. We feel that we are also better protected from cyclones.

While some of the suburbs are lovely, I think that it will mean that you both will need motorised transport. Buses are not so nearly as well provided in Cairns, as the urban UK. Scooters or motorcycles are a real every day option here though.

It is not so much difficult, but rather will take some flexibility and speedy responsiveness to get accommodation that is very good value for money. I would suggest that you start emailing, or even phoning real estate agents from the UK, so that you feature in their mind when something is coming on the market that may suit.

I know hardly anything about schools on the beaches. Both our children are in an alternative Steiner school in Kuranda.

yes we have Steiner schools in Cardiff and I have always been very interested in them as an alternative for our daughter, now we have the opportunity to really explore this when we come over.

i will look more into the urban suburbs as hadn't considered them before, and will certainly see about contacting agents, that was a good tip thank you.

and huge thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, we really appreciate it.

So i so I would suggest you consider: Freshwater, Stratford, Edge Hill or Whitfield. They are all mature inner suburbs. Each of these suburbs have better areas than others though. So I would suggest personally visiting, rather than renting off the internet if possible.

The Steiner school provides a bus service from these suburbs to Kuranda, where it is located. See: http://chss.qld.edu.au/

Edited by ChrisH1