Police Checks for N.Ireland resident

Jonleahy

Hi Folks a wee question I am applying for my police checks but as I hold an Irish passport, I have been told I should also apply for a police check from the Garda Siochana.

Has anybody any experience of this?

I have been a UK resident (N. Ireland) all my life

I have never worked in the Republic.

Any advise welcome.

I'm not sure what a blank piece of paper from Garda Siochana is going to help but I will look into how to apply for it anyway.

Thanks

Jonathan

Who told you that you need a paper from Garda Siochana? Police certificates are required from all countries you've lived in (12 months or more) within the last 10years. You say you have lived in N.Ireland your whole life so you will fall under the United Kingdom. The ACRO police certificate covers the whole of the UK, I got mine done for Scotland.

Taken directly from their webpage: "Police certificates from the ACRO Criminal Records Office cover England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland. All citizens and residents of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (including those resident in Scotland) should apply through ACRO Criminal Records Office."

Hi Folks a wee question I am applying for my police checks but as I hold an Irish passport, I have been told I should also apply for a police check from the Garda Siochana.

Has anybody any experience of this?

I have been a UK resident (N. Ireland) all my life

I have never worked in the Republic.

Any advise welcome.

I'm not sure what a blank piece of paper from Garda Siochana is going to help but I will look into how to apply for it anyway.

Thanks

Jonathan

Hi Jon,

We're down South and have done it.

See: http://garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=2742&Lang=1

The piece of paper will say that the have no record of any offences etc.

B

He says he has lived in N.Ireland his whole life. Why would he need a police clearance from a country he's never been a resident of?

The DIBP ( http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa/Char ) clearly states:

When is a police certificate required?

If you are over the age of 16 and have lived in any of the countries listed on this page for a total of one year or more in the last 10 years, you must get a police certificate from that country.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jonathan

Not sure about the Garda Siochana checks but during our visa process I spoke with ACRO who advised me that the Subject Access is only available for people living in England and Wales. Any record for Northern Ireland and Scotland is done through the local police force.

I then spoke to the Northern Ireland Criminal Records Office Tel 02890650222 in relation to getting something like a Subject Access Disclosure. They informed me that the Access NI form (in particular the Enhanced Disclosure Certificate) is the same as the Subject Access Disclosure and they could not provide any additional information as this is all ready contained within it.

I have provided the telephone number for the Criminal records in NI and the ACRO number is 0845 60 13 999 in case .

Our agent advised the CO that this was the case and it was okay. Perhaps do something similar and see if this is enough.

Cheers

Alexis

@ Alexis - How long ago did you actually apply for a police certificate? I'm aware that the process has changed in recent years. You are mistaken when you say: " Any record for Northern Ireland and Scotland is done through the local police force. "

I got my ACRO police clearance done in SCOTLAND (recently), I submit my application online via the official ACRO webpage. If you still don't believe me - taken directly from the ACRO webpage: "Police certificates from the ACRO Criminal Records Office cover England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland. All citizens and residents of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (including those resident in Scotland) should apply through ACRO Criminal Records Office." https://www.acro.police.uk/Police_Certificates_FAQs.aspx

Edited by SiameseCat

Hi

I'm also originally from NI - and hold an Irish passport! We only needed to apply to acro for our police check as we had lived in NI for the previous 10 years! You will only need the Irish police check if you have lived down south within the last 10 years

I completed my tempory visa application 2 years ago and am now applying for my PR So have sent off for a new police check and the process seems to be the same-

Hi Alexis Thanks for your reply. I have applied and received my Police Certificate through ACRO. I believe that all police forces of the UK now use this system if resident in UK.

My query originated from someone saying to me that a relative of theirs was going to New Zealand and like me held a passport from Republic of Ireland. I have never lived in the Republic of Ireland and apparently neither had they, but the case officer for immigration to New Zealand apparently asked the individual if they could get a police check done from the police force in the republic of Ireland (The Gardi Siochana).

Thanks

Jonathan

Hi

I'm also originally from NI - and hold an Irish passport! We only needed to apply to acro for our police check as we had lived in NI for the previous 10 years! You will only need the Irish police check if you have lived down south within the last 10 years

I completed my tempory visa application 2 years ago and am now applying for my PR So have sent off for a new police check and the process seems to be the same-

Hi Yes This seems to be the case for Australia at the moment anyway it could all change with "Brexit"

As I have said the information came in relation to immigration to New Zealand not Australia and I'm not too sure exactly how long ago but certainly a few years.

Thanks

Jonathan