AU tv - will it work in uk?

JimSydney

It all depends on how the TV was made. It may well have all the worldwide settings or it may only have been set up for the Australian/Asian market and lack a UK setting. TVs sold in the UK will often work in Australia by selecting Germany in the country settings but unfortunately it doesn't follow that Australian TVs have a setting for a nearby country that happens to match the UK settings. Note that HDMI sockets will still work regardless so you'll still be able to use plug and play devices even if the TV tuner is useless.

I have a LG tv purchased in Sydney and wondered if it will work in the UK.

I contacted LG who will not confirm either way.

Thanks in advance for your help.

It depends how you want to use it, if you plan to get Sky or the likes then it will work to display whatever that box receives. If you don't plan to get a subscription service then you can get a freeview box extremely cheaply and it will then work as a display for that.

It may not work as a receiver so just plugging an aerial in may not be any good - we brought back 2 LG TV's and they didn't but since we went straight onto BT and have since got Sky I don't know how hard my OH tried. It totally confused the Sky bloke though as the codes they use to set up the Sky remote for the TV didn't work - all it means is we have to switch the TV on/off and adjust the volume with the TV remote rather than the Sky remote.