Legal qualifications for a Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189)

Judge Dredd

Hi guys, I was hoping there was someone on here who might have any insight in the (apparently) complicated legal profession in terms of the skilled visa.

Solicitor and barrister are on the current list (updated as of 01/07/16) and undergraduate degrees as well as Masters can award up to 15 points, with a further 10 points for a trade/other qualification.

I have an LLB in English and European Laws (basically your standard LLB Law but with an extra year abroad on Erasmus in an EU country) and an LLM in European Business Law, both from Essex University (an accredited and recognised university).

I am also a memebr of the Bar Association of the Republic of Cyprus (a Common Law jurisdiction). I was called to the Bar in November 2013 (I did not practise law however, but I will not be claiming any work experience). There does not exist a differentiation between solicitor and barrister there, all legally qualified practitioners carry the title of 'advocate'.

Where does this place me in terms of being able to apply for the visa in question?

Does a common law jurisdiction with degrees from an English university count for their recognised equivellants? Or is it a case that you need to specifically be qualified in an Australian State?

Thanking anyoen with info in advance.

Cheers.

Have a read through this thread and it will give a lot of information http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/211160-solicitor-applying-visa-189-skills-assessment.html

Basically, you will need to be admitted to one of the states prior to starting the process. This will require a series of subjects to be studied and exams taken. The subjects will depend on an assessment of your qualifications and experience, but it can be as many as 6 - 7 and they will be expensive as you will be an international distance learning student. So, the first thing you need to look at is which state you are moving to and contact that states legal body

One thing you need to be very aware of is that there is far from being any shortage of lawyers in Oz, in fact the occupations have been flagged for removal, which is something you need to be aware of as there is a risk that by the time you are eligible to apply, it is no longer on the list. But even if you do get the visa, getting work there can be another matter. I trained in law in my previous career and did consider going back to it in Oz, but the job prospects were not worth the costs