Shippong

Pixie77

Ask yourself how much is it going to cost.

Can you live without it for 2 or 3 months.

What is really of any value to you, I am having a big clearout, even with stuff that I came out to Australia with. I think I have not used it for many years, shame to see it go but all adds to the new shipping cost in terms of space.

Kinda nice to have a clearout and get rid of stuff you have just had in a cupboard gathering dust.

Going through this very process now and it's hard as we're going to be left with very little money when we leave Australia and we're in our late 40's. So the thought of selling expensive furniture for nicks on gumtree and then having no money to buy nice stuff is hard (whilst some may say it's materialistic - it's what I've worked many long hard years for). But our furniture is big and realistically wouldn't fit into smaller houses and we have no idea where we're going to be living.

From the posts I've put up trying to get advice on this most say take what is sentimental for start, and take what is expensive and may cost more to buy again then to ship. But also take into consideration are you going to be taking things that won't fit in doors or big leather lounges that won't get in small houses etc.

I've got very big French door fridge / freezer and 15kg washing machine and 10kg dryer that are very nice, fairly new and stainless steel - but they won't fit in realistically so no point taking them. Love my king size bedroom suite but decided not to take either due to size. I've got very big L shaped orange leather lounge - I've got a 6m x 4m games room so it works well, won't fit somewhere in UK (or the shape may not work).

It's definitely a tough decision giving the time, effort and money trying to get nice things.

In Perth few people are using Chess - not sure where you are. From my work we have used Crown, Toll and Santa Fe - Crown and Toll seem to come in cheaper when we send persons overseas for work (South Korea, USA) but recent quotes received from others here in Perth from Chess have been good. (going Perth to UK).

All of these items won't fetch much on gumtree as second hand stuff generally doesn't.

Going through this very process now and it's hard as we're going to be left with very little money when we leave Australia and we're in our late 40's. So the thought of selling expensive furniture for nicks on gumtree and then having no money to buy nice stuff is hard (whilst some may say it's materialistic - it's what I've worked many long hard years for). But our furniture is big and realistically wouldn't fit into smaller houses and we have no idea where we're going to be living.

From the posts I've put up trying to get advice on this most say take what is sentimental for start, and take what is expensive and may cost more to buy again then to ship. But also take into consideration are you going to be taking things that won't fit in doors or big leather lounges that won't get in small houses etc.

I've got very big French door fridge / freezer and 15kg washing machine and 10kg dryer that are very nice, fairly new and stainless steel - but they won't fit in realistically so no point taking them. Love my king size bedroom suite but decided not to take either due to size. I've got very big L shaped orange leather lounge - I've got a 6m x 4m games room so it works well, won't fit somewhere in UK (or the shape may not work).

It's definitely a tough decision giving the time, effort and money trying to get nice things.

In Perth few people are using Chess - not sure where you are. From my work we have used Crown, Toll and Santa Fe - Crown and Toll seem to come in cheaper when we send persons overseas for work (South Korea, USA) but recent quotes received from others here in Perth from Chess have been good. (going Perth to UK).

All of these items won't fetch much on gumtree as second hand stuff generally doesn't.

Yep agreed about gumtree, so far been lucky and sold most of my stuff, but the lowballers take the p@#$. If you can hang around long enough then you generally find people who will offer you a fair price/offer or just pay the asking price :) Friends have told me to use the facebook pages for selling items as that seems to be very popular now, so going to try with the last big ticket items.

Shame to hear you are going to be so financially hit with the move so down sizing if a must and also agree the furniture here would not be appropriate for a large majority of the houses in the UK.

I personally do not think you are being materialistic, you work hard to build a home you want to live in. Circumstances chance which mean you have to sell things off for next to nothing. It really sucks, but for me it is changing my outlook on what I need to buy new after my move. Since I am selling stuff that is very good, can I be prepared to wait to find some great bargains.

Honestly, I think if you can sell the items whatever the cost it is much better than ending up on freecycle giving them away for nothing.

Yep agreed about gumtree, so far been lucky and sold most of my stuff, but the lowballers take the p@#$. If you can hang around long enough then you generally find people who will offer you a fair price/offer or just pay the asking price :) Friends have told me to use the facebook pages for selling items as that seems to be very popular now, so going to try with the last big ticket items

Agreed, so sick of people trying to negotiate on stuff that is already a good price, or not turning up when they say they will!! Not put any furniture on yet as we want to keep the house furnished until we get an offer, it looks better I think. But I am sure the p@#$ will be taken then. Hopefully we will sell it with the house!!