Change of Passport as a Permanent Resident

CaptainR

My wife just got her new passport yesterday and has to travel overseas tomorrow to Hong Kong, Philippines and Malaysia. When I login to the Immi account we don't seem to have an option to update the passport details, and sending off the Form 929 won't even reach immigration before she travels. Does anyone know what immigration will do in this case? Can the immigration at Sydney airport update her details on departure? She will travel with her old passport (which has a visa sticker), new passport and grant letter.

FYI, This is where it's found on my account.

Login

Click on your reference number in the "List of Applications"

on the left side there's a box that says

Application

View Application Status

View Application Mailbox

Update Us

Click on Update Us. The passport change link is there.

For what it's worth, I also tried updating using that email address and they responded with the following:

I am writing in relation to the change of passport details request sent to the Europe Service Centre.

The Europe Service Centre is not responsible for processing passport details amendments/929 updates any longer.

However, the information that you have provided is not sufficient to update your details.

As your application was lodged online, please use your ImmiAccount to update your new passport details. ImmiAccount is the fastest and most convenient way to update your details. You can manually update your details through the section “Update Us”. ImmiAccount allows you to:

- Record a change of address/email

- Record a change of passport details (*unless lost or stolen)

- Amend an incorrectly recorded passport number, passport date of issue/expiry, passport authority

If unable to do so, please send a complete request to the office that processed your visa. In your case, the Adelaide General Skilled Migration Processing Centre at gsm.allocated@border.gov.au.

If you email your request to your processing team, please ensure that the email is less than 5MB in size and your documents are attached in .pdf or .jpeg format.

For new passport updates:

• Form 929 completed, signed and dated: http://www.border.gov.au/Forms/Documents/929.pdf

• A scanned, coloured copy of the new passport

• A scanned, coloured copy of the old passport (if available)

• A scanned, coloured copy of evidence of a change of name (if applicable) such as a marriage certificate or deed poll certificate

• A scanned, coloured copy of evidence of a change of citizenship (if applicable) such as a citizenship or naturalisation certificate

• If the previous passport has been lost or stolen, please provide a description of the circumstances and evidence of a police report, if obtained

• Intended travel date

For new address updates:

• Form 929 completed, signed and dated

For incorrect visa or passport information for a visa that has been approved:

• A scanned, coloured copy of the passport

• An explanation of the error

• Intended travel date

Please note that the office responsible for processing this update will not necessarily contact you to confirm that the change has been made. Please check your VEVO/ImmiAccount to confirm the update. Otherwise, you may wish to contact the Europe Service Centre enquiry line on the phone number +44 (0) 2074203690 for confirmation 48 hours before you travel.

Yours sincerely,

If you have any concerns about whether the information has or has not been updated the best way to resolve this quickly is to give the Europe Service Centre a call. They can look up the application and they can see if the change has been made online. They might also be able to look into why you personally can't change the details online.

We sent off the email last night, but actually discovered that the Cathay Pacific Check-In agent at Sydney was able to change the passport details (which surprised us both) but when my wife asked the immigration agent they confirmed that it had been changed but advised if it hadn't been they could have done it.

Just checked on Vevo and sure enough, all updated.

I think you mean that Cathay were able to change the passport details on their own system? Or you mean that Cathay have access to the Department's own system and can actually update individual passport details? I've not heard of that before. That's quite surprising. I am honestly not sure that that is possible. But in any case, I am glad that all is well and the details have been updated, one way or another :)

I think you mean that Cathay were able to change the passport details on their own system? Or you mean that Cathay have access to the Department's own system and can actually update individual passport details? I've not heard of that before. That's quite surprising. I am honestly not sure that that is possible. But in any case, I am glad that all is well and the details have been updated, one way or another :)

I spoke to my wife and she said "The check in agent called immigration in Canberra and gave the details, Canberra called back a few minutes later to say they'd updated the passport details. When I went through immigration afterwards they checked and said my passport details had already been updated in the computer, but said if they hadn't they could have changed them for us there and then."

I am surprised how easy it is, considering for my sons which was changed a few months ago I was running around getting photocopies of the passport signed by the JP and getting it all sent of.

Archived