Police Clearences

Zippy

Hi Guys, hoping for a little advice on Police clearances, I'm about to put a 190 application in for me and my wife. On the government website its says you need a police clearance for any country you've lived in for more then 1 year, My wife spent 11 months 3 weeks in Vietnam, now thats not a year but its very very close, is there a chance they'll ask for one anyway or do they always go with the rules exactly?

The problem is that its very difficult to get a police clearance from Vietnam which may even involve a trip there! A friend has suggested an interpol clearance as a possible alternative as this covers all countries, anybody know if that works with 190 applications as I've not seen it anywhere before.

I also spent time over in the philippines, 1.5 years but returned to the uk for a month half way through, will I need a clearance for that? I can get one but may take a while!

Cheers for any help

Edited by Zippy

Hi Guys, hoping for a little advice on Police clearances, I'm about to put a 190 application in for me and my wife. On the government website its says you need a police clearance for any country you've lived in for more then 1 year, My wife spent 11 months 3 weeks in Vietnam, now thats not a year but its very very close, is there a chance they'll ask for one anyway or do they always go with the rules exactly?

The problem is that its very difficult to get a police clearance from Vietnam which may even involve a trip there! A friend has suggested an interpol clearance as a possible alternative as this covers all countries, anybody know if that works with 190 applications as I've not seen it anywhere before.

I also spent time over in the philippines, 1.5 years but returned to the uk for a month half way through, will I need a clearance for that? I can get one but may take a while!

Cheers for any help

They won't accept an interpol clearance, simply because not all crimes get reported to Interpol.

You'll need one for the Philippines, and I would try to get one from Vietnam, so that you can at leas show Immigration that you have tried.

Our son was in a similiar situation in that he had worked just under a year in both France and Portugal. He took the view that they would ask for them if needed. There was never any request and he received his Permanent Residency. He used to work the ski season in France and then the summer season in Portugal so he also had split periods but they didn't add up to a year. On his visa application it said "any country you had lived in more than a year in the last 10 years" so I agree Philippines yes, Vietnam no.

HTH

Bridgie

That certainly the case for us as UK Residents who haven't lived in the UK for more than 10 years. We haven't got to provide a UK cert. I think as always it's best to read the accompanying notes with the visa and consult an expert. There's a section above to ask an Immigration agent.

I think what country you are a citizen of is irrelevant because they list all countries here: https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa/Char

" If you are over the age of 16 and have lived in any of the countries listed on this page for a total of one year or more in the last 10 years, you must get a police certificate from that country.

The certificate must cover the period of time from the issue date back to the age you ceased to be a minor, or must cover the whole time you were in a country.

For immigration purposes a police certificate is deemed to be valid for 12 months from the issue date. "