DUAL NATIOANLITY - Form 80

SiameseCat

Hi all,

I wondered if anybody would help clarify a question I have. I was born in the UK but acquired my father’s Greek nationality at birth. I am in the process of filling out Form80 and there are a couple of questions on dual citizenship (questions 6 and 7).

I have a Greek passport that expired 14years ago. I can renew it at any time but I just use my British passport for any travel really. I take it my dual nationality is the same as being a dual citizen?

Thank you! :smile:

I'm aware that in some countries Nationality and Citizenship have different meanings but in Australia they both mean the same so yes, having dual nationality is the same as being a dual citizen. You do not need a passport to be a citizen (unless they have strange rules in Greece) so the fact that your Greek passport expired is irrelevant.

Thanks for the reply Ken.

The confusing part is that my British passport says 'British citizen' but my Greek passport says 'Hellenic nationality'. I always assumed I have British nationality inherited at birth through my British mother. But my British passport has always said 'citizen' on it, although I think that's standard for UK passports.

Thanks for the reply Ken.

The confusing part is that my British passport says 'British citizen' but my Greek passport says 'Hellenic nationality'. I always assumed I have British nationality inherited at birth through my British mother. But my British passport has always said 'citizen' on it, although I think that's standard for UK passports.

It's even more confusing than that. The act of parliament that determines that is says 'British Citizen' on your passport is the 'British Nationality Act'. The only people called British Nationals on their passports are holders of British National (Overseas) passports exclusively issued to Hong Kong residents before the handover.

I'm getting even more confused with questions 6,7,8 on form 80.

Question6: Do you currently have citizenship from any country? - I answered 'Yes', but the confusing part is it doesn't ask you to list that country. Do they automatically link this to the current passport you hold stated in quesion 9?

Question7: Do you hold citizenship from any other country? - I answered 'Yes', but there is only 1 space - so do I list the first country or the second? Or do I list UNITED KINGDOM and then add GREECE under 'Additional information' ?

Question8: Do you have permanent residency rights in any country other than those declared in Questions 6 or 7? Now this one makes no sense. 'Those' suggests they have given you the option to list more than 1 country, but that's not the case. Question 6 doesn't give you any space to list a country so where would you even declare it? Question 7 only gives you space to list 1 country.

Is permanent residency the same as citizenship?

I'm getting even more confused with questions 6,7,8 on form 80.

Question6: Do you currently have citizenship from any country? - I answered 'Yes', but the confusing part is it doesn't ask you to list that country. Do they automatically link this to the current passport you hold stated in quesion 9?

Question7: Do you hold citizenship from any other country? - I answered 'Yes', but there is only 1 space - so do I list the first country or the second? Or do I list UNITED KINGDOM and then add GREECE under 'Additional information' ?

Question8: Do you have permanent residency rights in any country other than those declared in Questions 6 or 7? Now this one makes no sense. 'Those' suggests they have given you the option to list more than 1 country, but that's not the case. Question 6 doesn't give you any space to list a country so where would you even declare it? Question 7 only gives you space to list 1 country.

Is permanent residency the same as citizenship?

No they aredifferent things. Permanent residency is what you apply for in Australia when you go for a 189/190 etc.

don't overthink it, just answer the questions as you see them.

Yes you hold a citizenship (which they ask you about later)

Yes you hold a second one (Greek, if you are applying as a UK citizen)

You haven't mentioned holding permanent residency rights in any other country so I would presume No for Question 8.

Edited by Nemesis

Thanks for your help Nemesis. I answered the questions the same way but thought it wouldn't do any harm to get a second opinion.

I have one more question I'd like to confirm. My assumption is that I am British by birth and Greek by descent. Is this correct? My mother is British and my father is Greek so strictly speaking I am both by descent? I was born in the UK though.

Really appreciate your help!

Thanks for your help Nemesis. I answered the questions the same way but thought it wouldn't do any harm to get a second opinion.

I have one more question I'd like to confirm. My assumption is that I am British by birth and Greek by descent. Is this correct? My mother is British and my father is Greek so strictly speaking I am both by descent? I was born in the UK though.

Really appreciate your help!

Because your mother is British and you were born in the UK you are British by birth. If you were born outside the UK then because your mother is British you would be British by descent. The distinction is that you are British by descent but then do not go on to live in the UK (I think there's a certain number of years of British residency required) then you can't pass on your British citizenship to your descendants. Can't tell you if same applies in Greece but presumably they also have some way to limit how many generations an emigree can keep on passing on his citizenship.

I ended up asking my parents and apparently my mum became a Greek national -by marriage- in 1981! They even have it in writing as part of an official Greek document, which also confirms all their registered children. Next to my name it says my nationality is Greek by birth. Not sure if the rules have changed since, but back then I was able to inherit the nationality automatically from both parents being Greek nationals! I have put down both my nationalities were acquired by birth. Well, I have the documentation to support it anyway :)

Thanks for all your help!

Question regarding dual nationality or citizenship not really important for most applicants but protection visa applicants, it may make all the different if you have dual nationality.

If you do not really know, or not sure and wanted to fill in the form as perfect as possible, you could just tick yes and then provide an explanation at second last page of form 80.