Graduate engineer

stevej

Hi very stormy, yes I'm aware of the downturn which is why I'm hoping to get a graduateship as these continue regardless of the downturn in most sectors all be it in lower numbers. I'm just trying to gauge if it is better to do a graduateship in the UK or Australia. I am a mature graduate so scoping out the right move as I'm applying for graduateships here in the UK now.

Regards

steve

To be honest, I would generally say do it in the UK. Yes there will be graduate roles still about, but very few, at the same time, Australian universities are turning out far more grad engineers than there are grad jobs. From my experience, when there is a big supply of candidates, local people will rightly get the bigger chance.

Hey Stevej,

Was not going to add to this thread as do not work in this industry. But I am in the process of selling up and relocating to Toronto, job market is tough here all round and I work in IT but is affecting a lot of industries. One of the items I was selling a Chinese guy turned up who was also a Mech Eng graduate, albeit not Masters but did not ask so cannot confirm. He is trying to find to work in Melbourne and also saying how tough it is here, then again he is on a 457 visa which makes it harder due to the 6 month time constraint. He has just finished a 6 month contract and not hopeful how quick he may land the next one, if at all.

Perth is on a bit of a downturn at present, the mining boom has died and really Sydney, most promising, and Melbourne may offer you more work and maybe even Queensland. This is just based on some forums that are populated by mainly locals and not immigrants. I can send you a PM as had the link removed once due to seeming I am promoting it. Unsure why, as people come to forums to find out advice and if another forum provides more advice, then why not provide the link.

Just do not get your hopes up that finding a job will be plain sailing. The masters may help, but you are a recent graduate from it and have no work experience from gaining it.

Hi thanks for that.

I am currently on a accelerated scholarship to CEng with Siemens which means with my previous experience (mature student) and MPDS scheme I could potentially gain CEng within 2 years if I stay in UK. I think this would take substantially longer in WA even with my experience and grades. It is a long shot and I have seen some UK companies with branches in WA but a lot require citizenship due to security sector and military work.

I am playing the long game here as we are applying on my wife's occupation as Nurse.

Hopefully things will will pick up in next couple of years.

Hi thanks for that.

I am currently on a accelerated scholarship to CEng with Siemens which means with my previous experience (mature student) and MPDS scheme I could potentially gain CEng within 2 years if I stay in UK. I think this would take substantially longer in WA even with my experience and grades. It is a long shot and I have seen some UK companies with branches in WA but a lot require citizenship due to security sector and military work.

I am playing the long game here as we are applying on my wife's occupation as Nurse.

Hopefully things will will pick up in next couple of years.

Yep security clearance will require citizenship, which is a few years away from you once you arrive in Oz. I do wish you the best of luck but the job market here sucks at the moment, you could be lucky with your background and being a mature student(then again that means you will be more expensive than a fresh grad). I do not know what your line of work is exactly so cannot comment truthfully. Just review as much as you can and work out what may work for you.

Are you set on WA or prepared to look at other states for the interim to gain some local experience and watch how the job market progresses?

Is there a possibility that Siemens would/could transfer you or at least have a job offer open in WA for you?

Archived