457 visa medical

baggo

Sorry if this is obvious but I can't find the answer. I will be coming on a sponsored 457 visa with my wife and child. Wife is also pregnant but not due until after we have applied for the visa.

1. Is it just me the applicant who needs a medical or do the whole family?

2. How easy or not is it to add on a child to the visa and what paperwork and timescales are involved. Baby due end January. Hoping to emigrate end Feb. Is that enough time to get a birth certificate and get them on visa?

Also any suggestions on best way of booking flights on that timescale would be useful. I assume to get bulkhead seats we must wait until baby born to book tickets?

Thanks everyone

B

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sorry if this is obvious but I can't find the answer. I will be coming on a sponsored 457 visa with my wife and child. Wife is also pregnant but not due until after we have applied for the visa.

1. Is it just me the applicant who needs a medical or do the whole family?

2. How easy or not is it to add on a child to the visa and what paperwork and timescales are involved. Baby due end January. Hoping to emigrate end Feb. Is that enough time to get a birth certificate and get them on visa?

Also any suggestions on best way of booking flights on that timescale would be useful. I assume to get bulkhead seats we must wait until baby born to book tickets?

Thanks everyone

B

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

No hard and fast rules about who needs to do a medical for the 457 visa, basically whoever immigration asks to do one must do one.

Nothing particularly hard hard about including a child into a visa, although if you plan to get your visa first before you move, then you need to go through the whole process again to get a visa for baby. You would need to get birth certificate and passport before you can get visa. So look into how long those things take.

I would also assume you cannot book an airline reservation for baby before baby is born.

I expect I'll have to do one as I had to last time i got a 457 in 2008. This time though I'll be taking wife and family with me. I'm trying to prevent a medical being a rate limiting step but I don't know whether they also need a medical or whether it's just me as the primary applicant. Stuck at the MY HEALTH DECLARATION page where it asks that. It mentions partner and prospective marriage visa applicants, but I don't think a 457 is this type of Visa, am I right?

I expect I'll have to do one as I had to last time i got a 457 in 2008. This time though I'll be taking wife and family with me. I'm trying to prevent a medical being a rate limiting step but I don't know whether they also need a medical or whether it's just me as the primary applicant. Stuck at the MY HEALTH DECLARATION page where it asks that. It mentions partner and prospective marriage visa applicants, but I don't think a 457 is this type of Visa, am I right?

No. PMV and Partner Visas are completely different, they need the same medical as a PR skills visa.

Yours is a temporary visa and its up to the CO to decide whether they want a medical based on your country of residence, past history, and what sort of job you will be doing.

I know I need one for my job. Wife is coming on visa too initially on mat leave. She under the rules needs a medical too but I don't know whether she needs it during the visa application or only before she starts work (which would be about 8 months after arriving).

Hope I'm making sense

I know I need one for my job. Wife is coming on visa too initially on mat leave. She under the rules needs a medical too but I don't know whether she needs it during the visa application or only before she starts work (which would be about 8 months after arriving).

Hope I'm making sense

We "made sense" of your question the first time, it wasn't hard. But as has already been explained, there is no way of knowing whether the other people on your application will need a medical. It might be requested or it might not. You just have to wait and see.

Edited by Bungo

I'm grateful for your help but as I have tried to explain, I know she will need a medical. She needed one last time on a 457 and her circumstances haven't changed and her job means she will need one. That's not what I was asking. I was trying to establish whether the medical was part of the visa process for those included as family on a 457 or whether they only had to undertake the medical prior to taking up work in one of the jobs listed under special circumstances. But regardless i appreciate your time and maybe we should leave it there as without the subtleties of face to face conversation you come across as annoyed or frustrated and I'm not looking to annoy anyone.

Thanks

I'm grateful for your help but as I have tried to explain, I know she will need a medical. She needed one last time on a 457 and her circumstances haven't changed and her job means she will need one. That's not what I was asking. I was trying to establish whether the medical was part of the visa process for those included as family on a 457 or whether they only had to undertake the medical prior to taking up work in one of the jobs listed under special circumstances. But regardless i appreciate your time and maybe we should leave it there as without the subtleties of face to face conversation you come across as annoyed or frustrated and I'm not looking to annoy anyone.

Thanks

Well reading your posts I am not quite sure how anyone could have deduced that you were asking about whether she would need a medical for her job, because that is not what you have asked. But in this case, it is not an immigration question. Sometimes employers ask for medicals, sometimes not. No way anyone here could possibly know what your wife's future employer would ask for.

Hope I'm making sense

I have no idea whether you or your wife need one for your job. But if one of you has stated that your job in Australia will involve hospitals schools etc then DIBP may well ask for medicals for your visa.

You will need to wait and see if DIBP request them. Having needed one last time is no guide as you have stated that was several years ago. 457 rules have changed a lot in the last few years.

Edited by Nemesis