820 Partner Sponsor - How long to expect to wait from application to grant?

delicatepotatoe

Hi all, does anyone have any experience in how long it takes for the 820 visa to be finalized and your citizenship granted? I applied for the partnership visa 4th dec 2014. The status on immi.gov.au became 'finalised' on the 23rd of feb 2016, and I was granted an ammended bridging visa which allows me to leave the country for 3 up to months. I was wondering how long will it be before i become a permanent citizen? Would it be granted exactly 2 years after my application date? Or will it take longer? Thanks!

Do you mean citizenship or permanent residence? The PR stage will follow the temp stage of your partner visa. I think this is what you are meaning?

Citizenship is a much longer timeframe.

Ditto - an 820 visa has permanent residence attached to it (in the case of the 820 permanent means for as long as you remain with your partner stays and up to 2 years thereafter but best to check the details and small print).

To obtain citizenship you normally have to have lived in Australia for 4 years and the last 2 years must be as a permanent resident (again check the details), so once you've received your 820 visa you'll normally have to wait another 2 years to qualify to apply for citizenship (assuming you've already been in Australia for at least 2 years prior to the grant of the 820 visa).

Note that citizenship is not granted automatically, you have to apply, do the tests and provide references and documentation to be accepted. Merely committing a criminal offence in the UK is no longer enough :jiggy:

Ditto - an 820 visa has permanent residence attached to it (in the case of the 820 permanent means for as long as you remain with your partner stays and up to 2 years thereafter but best to check the details and small print).

To obtain citizenship you normally have to have lived in Australia for 4 years and the last 2 years must be as a permanent resident (again check the details), so once you've received your 820 visa you'll normally have to wait another 2 years to qualify to apply for citizenship (assuming you've already been in Australia for at least 2 years prior to the grant of the 820 visa).

Note that citizenship is not granted automatically, you have to apply, do the tests and provide references and documentation to be accepted. Merely committing a criminal offence in the UK is no longer enough :jiggy:

Check requirements as I think it's 4 years living here with the last full (1) year as PR. to qualify. Also check how long you are out of the country in those 4 years. A friend of mine has just missed out as she was away just over 3 months in her 4th year, and had to re-apply.