Thoughts on South Yarra and Port Melbourne?

Atlas

Hi all,

My fiancé and I will be moving to Melbourne at the end of January 2017, we fly out a couple of days after the wedding! He is transferring with work and therefore has a job lined up, I am currently waiting to see if anything comes up with my work or just taking a gamble and looking once we have landed :)

He will be working in Docklands. We have previously stayed in South Yarra and loved it there, but his colleagues recommended looking into Port Melbourne, which we have never been to. If anyone would like to share their opinions/experiences of these two places, or indeed recommend anywhere else for us to consider, that would be great!

By way of background, we are a youngish couple (under 35) with no kids or pets. We are sporty and looking for somewhere with good amenities, a short commute and a decent social scene. Our budget is circa $600 per week.

Many thanks!

South Yarra and Port Melbourne are both good areas.

However I would look at North Melbourne, there is a bike/pedestrian walk right down to docklands from North Melbourne, my friend's daughter walks to work every day, she works at one of the major banks in docklands. My daughter also works in docklands and she lives in Brunswick but it takes her about 40 minutes on the tram. Brunswick, Fitzroy are the places that are popular with your demographic, dinks. Brunswick also has the National Broadband which is very useful as you get fast internet there, not all suburbs have it yet.

That is such a furphy about the nbn.

You don't need the nbn to get fast internet in the suburbs of Melbourne.

I have Telstra cable and it is as fast as you could possibly want it.

I won't be bothering with the nbn unless I am forced to move to it when it comes to my suburb.