Gas & Plumbing Questions!

BenRose19

Hi,

I am a fully qualified Gas engineer in the UK, I work for British Gas and the majority of my work involves boiler repairs, however am qualified in most gas & plumbing areas.

First of all, what are my options? Do I concentrate on the plumbing side or look into commercial gas? Or retrain into air conditioning? Or any suggestions?

How likely is it that aussie company's like to take on british tradesmen?

What are the usual costs for conversion courses or certificates required?

Any information or personal experience is much appreciated!

Ben

Hi

It varies State to State but im pretty sure i read elsewhere that your looking at QLD ,so see if the links below help.. Overall its quite hard to get a full time job doing what you do now until you get the QLD licence, however going off people i know once you do have the licence you wont be stuck for work..

http://www.qbcc.qld.gov.au/contractors/apply-licence/moving-overseas

http://www.qbcc.qld.gov.au/contractors/apply-licence/apply-restricted-plumbing-draining-licence

Cal x

Hi

My husband is in a very similar situation.

We are wishing to make the move to Perth.

He is both qualified in Plumbing and Gas and knows that his qualifications must be converted in order to get a job, but the question is can this be done before we leave the UK?

If so how does the cost compare to waiting until we reach Perth, as I have read somewhere that waiting until you are in Oz is cheaper?

Also if he does wait until we get to Perth, how long does it take? As he will wish to work A.S.A.P!

Any help or advice will be very appreciated! Thanks!

Hi,

I am a fully qualified Gas engineer in the UK, I work for British Gas and the majority of my work involves boiler repairs, however am qualified in most gas & plumbing areas.

First of all, what are my options? Do I concentrate on the plumbing side or look into commercial gas? Or retrain into air conditioning? Or any suggestions?

How likely is it that aussie company's like to take on british tradesmen?

What are the usual costs for conversion courses or certificates required?

Any information or personal experience is much appreciated!

Ben

Each state is different, WA is not the best place at the moment jobs wise. Yet I know a young lad, not long out of his time who landed in Sydney and had a job plumbing within 48hrs. Officially he's a trades assistant as he's not licensed but he's doing a tradies job and getting tradies money!

My husband is in a very similar situation.

We are wishing to make the move to Perth.

He is both qualified in Plumbing and Gas and knows that his qualifications must be converted in order to get a job, but the question is can this be done before we leave the UK?

If so how does the cost compare to waiting until we reach Perth, as I have read somewhere that waiting until you are in Oz is cheaper?

Also if he does wait until we get to Perth, how long does it take? As he will wish to work A.S.A.P!

I don't know what the requirements are, but if you can get them done in the UK it would be better. Even if it's cheaper in Australia to do the exams, he'll be out of work until he gets the results: whereas he can get them done in the UK while he's still earning.

In some trades, you need to work for 12 months as an assistant before you can get your licence, which means working on a lower wage obviously. You need to budget for that, and in the current market in Perth, you should also allow about 6 months for him to find a job.

• 3 weeks later...