Flying from Newcastle Vs Heathrow

TheVixenator

Our dog is flying to Melbourne on the 18th of Jan and I was looking for some feedback on whether anybody has had a longer stop over in Dubai and what are the facilities are like.

We have 2 options

1) Fly from Heathrow (£320 additional cost) to get the dog from Newcastle to Heathrow – she will then fly to Dubai and stop for 2 hours and won’t get off the plane, then onto Melbourne

2) Fly from Newcastle to Dubai but then stop in Dubai for 10 hours where she will get of the plane then on to Melbourne.

In one way I am thinking would a longer stop in Dubai could be better so she can break the journey and stretch her legs etc or is it better to remain on the plane and have a shorter overall travel time.

Any comments would be welcome :smile:

Our dog is flying to Melbourne on the 18th of Jan and I was looking for some feedback on whether anybody has had a longer stop over in Dubai and what are the facilities are like.

We have 2 options

1) Fly from Heathrow (£320 additional cost) to get the dog from Newcastle to Heathrow – she will then fly to Dubai and stop for 2 hours and won’t get off the plane, then onto Melbourne

2) Fly from Newcastle to Dubai but then stop in Dubai for 10 hours where she will get of the plane then on to Melbourne.

In one way I am thinking would a longer stop in Dubai could be better so she can break the journey and stretch her legs etc or is it better to remain on the plane and have a shorter overall travel time.

Newcastle ...all day long ...if you are from the north east.

On a bad day you could spend 10 hours GETTING to Heathrow

We have 2 options

our boy did the Heathrow option was picked up by the company we shipped him with from Sunderland and traveled to thier kennels a few days before his flight

personally I think the shorter the travelling time the better

Newcastle ...all day long ...if you are from the north east.

On a bad day you could spend 10 hours GETTING to Heathrow

Thanks Bunbury, I hadn't thought of it like that, either way its adding several hours on to the journey so may as well keep her at home longer and save a good few hundred pounds.

It all depends on your dog really. If your dog is going to hate being handled after a short flight to Dubai by strangers then they are better to go from Heathrow and stay on the plane and in the crate. if your dog is a relaxed type who would love a cuddle and meet of someone new then the stopover will be beneficial.

No such thing as the right answer as it is all dependent on lots of different factors:)

Thanks Snifter and Bob - I am using Transfur (sorry Bob) and they are saying staying on the plane is preferable but as Bob says she is very relaxed and a happy little dog who would cuddle a burglar if they broke in so think I have made my mind up to go from Newcastle. Thank you for all your comments I have been struggling to make my mind up for over a week now!

Just double check all documents treatments etc as unfortunately our vet lost Ralphys final blood sample which could have stopped him flying on his due date We had followed everything to the letter and left him in the hands of Golden Arrow when we flew out Only to have our vet ring us in Singapore to say his tests had gone astray I must admit it caused a huge panic for me but thankfully Golden Arrow got everything sorted with 48 hours to spare ! I had thought of doing the process myself thank goodness I didn't !!Our boy being a Shar Pei could only fly within certain dates because of his type that final mistake could have meant months in the Uk before he could fly

Just double check all documents treatments etc as unfortunately our vet lost Ralphys final blood sample which could have stopped him flying on his due date We had followed everything to the letter and left him in the hands of Golden Arrow when we flew out Only to have our vet ring us in Singapore to say his tests had gone astray I must admit it caused a huge panic for me but thankfully Golden Arrow got everything sorted with 48 hours to spare ! I had thought of doing the process myself thank goodness I didn't !!Our boy being a Shar Pei could only fly within certain dates because of his type that final mistake could have meant months in the Uk before he could fly

I will double double check! I'm panicking so much as we fly out on 30th Dec and our dog is staying with my parents until the 18th of Jan when she flies out. She could have gone a similar time to us but Transfur have advised that with Christmas close down it would add so much stress chasing the vets and labs etc.

What is making me panic is if my parents mess up the last bit - They are experienced dog owners and will be more than capable following the final instructions but if it goes wrong and I had made a mistake then I could only blame myself. I can't really blame the parents who will be doing us a favour!

Archived