Saying hi, and looking for tips, advice and any thoughts

amyt

Looking for your thoughts on your experiences on Visa options and the realistic prospects of us getting a Visa before we decide if we start the ball rolling?

My husband is a Carpenter, and I am now a Solicitor. We started a skilled worker visa application around 7/8 years ago now and paid the first part of fees and did initial paperwork etc. However this was just before the world bank crash and the Aus mining crash in 2010 and when this happened Australia put a hold on new applications and the whole process slowed right down. At the time were did not have the money to spend on a Visa that might never come to fruition. We also had a very small child, were unmarried at the time and I was midway through my studies so made the decision to stop the process.

We have always thought about it though and with my sister going in the near future it is back in our plans now. We are now married, I am fully qualified as a Solicitor and financially we are in a much better position.

My husband has spoken with an Australian carpentry firm based in Sydney (East Suburbs) who are desperately trying to recruit UK carpenters due to rapid expansion of their company. They have pretty much said he would have a job with them immediately if we went. They offer sponsorship so that could be an option for us as I know sponsorship Visas are easier to apply for but then my husband would be limited to a salary of 1000 Aus Dollars a week under their sponsorship, as well as the lack of free schooling, healthcare etc and the risk of the Visa being revoked if he lost his job with them, we are advised we would be far better off as a family on a skilled 189 visa. We would have more freedom generally and with the firm to earn a higher hourly rate and price work etc. so that is our preferred option.

Our concern has been my husband’s age – he is now 42 and we know that that will count against him in the point scoring process. I am younger at 34 but still older than many applying. However using my husbands as main applicant we do score the required 60 points if he passes the English Assessment. We have sought advise from a migration firm who believes we have enough to get a 189 visa.

Realistically, from anyone with experience of applying as a carpenter trade, if we were to successfully complete the skills test etc. and then submit an EOI, given our ages would we likely get invited to apply for a Visa? Or would we keep moving down the list with the younger applicants jumping ahead of us? We are very keen but also realistic.

The company have said that they would write and say that my husband had an offer of employment subject to a Visa if that would assist the application?

My husband is a very experienced carpenter having worked as one his entire life and has experience in all aspects so I think he would satisfy the skills test relatively easily.

Lastly we would be looking then to live in the suburbs of Sydney. We know Sydney is expensive and the further out you head the lower rent gets. As a family of 3, our daughter would be starting high school if we say 18 months to get there, where would you recommend considering as a suburb we could afford to live with good schools etc?

Thanks all

Amy

I don't see any issues with your husband getting a 189. Age only comes into it after age 45 as that is when no points are awarded for age.

The majority of people need to do ILETS or one of the other tests in order to get enough points.

The only thing you do need to consider is your own career. In order to work in Australia you will need to undertake re training. This will take time and be expensive.

Thank you for the quick reply, it's helpful. In all honesty I might look into a career change, 16 years in law has worn me out lol. I might use my legal experience in an advisory role rather than go back into actual practice but it's something I need to think about

If you score 60 points for an invitation, it doesn't matter how those points are made up. He could be 49 years old and he'd still be likely to be invited as long as you can claim 60 points.

thats good to hear thank you! we best get cracking then with the application