House rental Brisbane region- what is needed to secure property?

huske

Hi everyone!

need a bit more advise...

We are coming over mid November 2016, we have arranged a temporary accommodation for first month after arrival. In that time we want to find a long term rental.

My questions are:

- is it realistic to secure a property between the end of November to mid December or does the market slow down because of the upcoming holidays/ Christmas?

-are all the viewings an open house and does it get really busy?

-WHAT PAPERWORK is wanted from us as future tennants and should we be bringing it to the viewings with us?

We have been home owners for the last 6 years in the UK,so not sure how to get hold of references from estate agent if needed as its been a while...maybe our mortgage company statements would be equivalent?

Please let me know about your experience!!!

Cheers!!!

Hi

We brought with us the estate agents photos from our house showing its good condition, details of our employment in the UK and details of work lined up in Australia. We also obtained reference from our estate agent because we were renting our house out for the first year of the move. I supplied a personal statement explaining our circumstances and that we had been home owners in the UK etc.

Basically as much detail as possible.

Viewings can be absolutely heaving or no one there at all - just depends on the location and style of the property. If it is raining it tends to put people off!

Develop a relationship with the local estate agents - they are quite influential and it can make the difference between securing the property or not.

Good luck.

#WOOBA

I'm arriving same time as you. Same problem. Sorry I can't answer your questions, but I'm wondering what you're doing for the temp accommodation?

Found a holiday let on Airbnb in the suburb where we would like to find a long term eventually, so that we can explore the area a bit better...Some of them do a weekly or monthly discounts too

Thanks Peachy! I dont think that a bit of rain will put us off :) I guess we just need to be prepared as much as we can and see what happens... Are there any estate agecy fees to be paid by the future tennants would you know? Thanks!

When the estate agent presents potential tenants to me to choose from as a landlord, all the info I receive is your salary, how many people there are, whether you have any pets and whether your references are any good (and if there's a black mark on your name they'll investigate to find out why). I won't find out any personal details about you though they may tell me you just moved into the country or something. No point doing up info packs; I won't see them and the agent won't pass on the majority of the information.

Bring evidence of job or job offer, maybe bank statement saying you can afford the rent, and though they aren't meant to, often the agent has passed on little things like "seemed like nice chatty people" or something, just try and make a good impression with them.

In my experience, agents have been bang on with the price they suggest that a place is rented out for so unless it's a really slow market there's generally not much room for negotiation - units in Brisbane are different as a massive over-supply at the moment.

In Queensland your bond cannot be more than 4 weeks' rent unless the weekly rental is more than $700. You won't be asked for things like pet or key bonds unless they are incorporated into that 4 weeks' worth.

I'm arriving same time as you. Same problem. Sorry I can't answer your questions, but I'm wondering what you're doing for the temp accommodation?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Just a thought, are you a couple or a family, my son might be able to help you

We are currently looking for a rental in NSW. Most houses are open days (well open for 20mins) but some have been able to view by appt. Be friendly with estate agents so they remember you. We have been asked for slightly different things by 2 different estate agents, some work on a points system so you have to have 100 points to submit an application. You will need your passport, driving licence, birth certificate (not necessarily all three), we provided a letter from my husbands employer saying he was starting work on x day and earning x amount. We provided a letter from our previous landlord saying we were good tenants and printed out a UK bank statement, prev water/electricity bill and our Aussie bank statement. So basically we couldn't provide everything they wanted i.e current bills, current rent books etc but they accepted the above instead. You don't need to take it all to the viewing but if you really like the house it is handy as you can go straight to the estate agents and apply.

Archived