Australia's Distances

Guest The Pom Queen

That must because of where you live, here you can see long sandy beaches, rain forests, built up cities with hustle and bustle or green open pasture fields and dirt roads all within a one hour drive, i find the variety gets better the more miles you cover.

Cal x

Well I've been to every state in Mainland Australia. I did state there are exceptions that I really like. But as you state, the variety gets better the more miles covered. Not everybody wants to go hour after hour without much change as can certainly be the case.

One thing I do not find is a massive variety of scenery unless covering great distances. A lot of road trips of duration can be tedious to say the least.

Having mentioned not relishing the long drive, I do, however, look forward to the camping at night. Jo and I know the best campsites on the roads, old Main Road camps and gravel pits, all free from hordes of caravans of grey nomads...Ye Gods!!!:arghh:

A simple camp and a pair of binoculars to view the night sky...Up at 3.30 AM and make a strong coffee...Wait for the dawn and a photo. And offski on another leg of the trip.

Cheers, Bobj.

I am still amazed at the distances - in a good way! And even the size of somewhere like NSW, compared to the UK can be surprising, when I actually look up the population/physical size etc. I do enjoy seeing new areas, even though I am not always a big fan of driving generally. TAS is beautiful and I'd love to visit again some time, and I particularly enjoy the southern highlands in NSW.

I look forward to seeing more, as I get to know my surroundings a bit better :cute:

Guest The Pom Queen
One thing I do not find is a massive variety of scenery unless covering great distances. A lot of road trips of duration can be tedious to say the least.

Flag you can't have driven many road trips. I've only driven down from Townsville now just near the Sunshine Coast and an hour more to go. I went through Baron areas, rainforests, beautiful national parks and just past the most lovely fir trees. All the hills and mountains are different. When you head across, you hit marine fossil areas, areas where dinosaurs once walked, then you hit the red dirt and then the boab trees. After doing numerous trips around different areas I would prefer driving to flying every time.

Guest The Pom Queen
Well I've been to every state in Mainland Australia. I did state there are exceptions that I really like. But as you state, the variety gets better the more miles covered. Not everybody wants to go hour after hour without much change as can certainly be the case.

It's because you aren't doing the "hour upon hour" that you are missing the most beautiful parts of Australia Flag. I really think you need to get out more

Guest The Pom Queen
Having mentioned not relishing the long drive, I do, however, look forward to the camping at night. Jo and I know the best campsites on the roads, old Main Road camps and gravel pits, all free from hordes of caravans of grey nomads...Ye Gods!!!:arghh:

A simple camp and a pair of binoculars to view the night sky...Up at 3.30 AM and make a strong coffee...Wait for the dawn and a photo. And offski on another leg of the trip.

Cheers, Bobj.

Talking of grey nomads arrgghhh I can't believe how many are up here at the moment, the roads are full of caravans and every free campsite is full to the brim

It's because you aren't doing the "hour upon hour" that you are missing the most beautiful parts of Australia Flag. I really think you need to get out more

Already covered most of Australia, well a lot anyway. Where exactly should I get out to? I already mentioned an affinity for certain regions. A lot of driving though in the Australian landscape is little short of tedious.

Cheers, Bobj.

Yep. I can dig that. Having done a bit of camping in the NT always had an affinity with the night sky. I'm no where near versed to you in the best off road spots by a long chalk, but fully appreciate the experiences had and have always stated enjoy the Top End. Be that Kimberley, NT or FNQ.