Advice for the rental process in SC

DanGB

Hello all,

Me, my partner and child are flying to OZ on the 17th August, (189) looking at living on the Sunshine Coast, preferably Mooloolaba and surrounding coastal areas. We are constantly going round in circles with our options of living arrangements. We are looking for a lease no longer than 3 months as we don't wan't to commit to a 6 month lease just in case we're unsuccessful finding work, which we will then use our remaining money to relocate to Brisbane, if that fails, back to sunny, Hull.

We have temporary short term accommodation when we arrive which is only a week in a hotel, we want to start renting fully furnished right away (Short term lease) so we aren't literally burning our money (Especially with AIRBNB).

I have a few questions about our situation which are as follows as the estate agent's don't seem to be getting my emails (Either that or they're ignoring me)

Is it common for an estate agent to lease a property without meeting you first? Even if we pay our 3 months in full up front?

Would an estate agent consider lowering a 6 month lease if the property has been on the market a while?

How long does it usually take from submitting your application form to getting the keys to a property? My friend lived in Mackay last year and said it took him about 2 days from viewing the house to getting the keys.

It's massively stressful but we will find somewhere in the end.

P.S ...Anybody had any experience staying at Maroochy River Resort?

Hello all,

Me, my partner and child are flying to OZ on the 17th August, (189) looking at living on the Sunshine Coast, preferably Mooloolaba and surrounding coastal areas. We are constantly going round in circles with our options of living arrangements. We are looking for a lease no longer than 3 months as we don't wan't to commit to a 6 month lease just in case we're unsuccessful finding work, which we will then use our remaining money to relocate to Brisbane, if that fails, back to sunny, Hull.

We have temporary short term accommodation when we arrive which is only a week in a hotel, we want to start renting fully furnished right away (Short term lease) so we aren't literally burning our money (Especially with AIRBNB).

I have a few questions about our situation which are as follows as the estate agent's don't seem to be getting my emails (Either that or they're ignoring me)

Is it common for an estate agent to lease a property without meeting you first? Even if we pay our 3 months in full up front?

Would an estate agent consider lowering a 6 month lease if the property has been on the market a while?

How long does it usually take from submitting your application form to getting the keys to a property? My friend lived in Mackay last year and said it took him about 2 days from viewing the house to getting the keys.

It's massively stressful but we will find somewhere in the end.

P.S ...Anybody had any experience staying at Maroochy River Resort?

Hi 10 years ago we went and looked at the unit and moved in the the next day but after that our experience was that there was always many people going to each house viewing and making applications so you have to get in quick and maybe paying up front might help and forming a good relationship with the agents. I doubt if you will get a 3 month lease .... but you could always get a 6 month and then if you cant get work there and get work in Brisbane just commute for the balance of the time - its not ideal - it can be a long commute (although not too bad if you find work in North Brisbane) but definitely doable.

Try Emerald Springs in Mooloolaba - it is a nice complex and usually had quite a few up for rent.

Good luck - it is the most beautiful place

Its hard to get a response when your not here as most agents require you view the property before they will let it to you. The other problem you will have is not many longer term rents are furnished. A furnished house or holiday home will not be much less cost wise than a hotel as all your utilities etc are included, hence its uncommon to rent one for more than 3 or 4 weeks.

For a furnished house look at Stayz.com, Take a break etc for unfurnished look at realestate.com.

Hope this helps

Cal x

Because Mooloolaba is a holiday town, I'd contact some agents about getting a good deal on a holiday let for 3 months. Arriving in August your 3 months will be up before the peak summer holiday season kicks in and you may be able to negotiate a better rate as a long term tenant. Google "holiday rentals mooloolaba" and send a few emails.

Hi

Maroochy River resort is ok, please do not get alarmed, but it is a large cluster of holiday style chalets, around a lake with a restaurant-bottle shop and about 3km from maroochyodre........if that is where you thinking of 3 month stay - would suggest you look at places which are central - so you can walk/cycle places.....

as another posted said, it is now low season, and you can try to drive a bargain for a 3 month furnished to get you on your feet......gumtree is a good source for furniture and plenty of bargain shops to buy crockery and other items...

another matter you need to consider is if your child is going to school - try to focus on somewhere not too far from school

as others have said renting - can only be achieved by sucking up to the property agent.....if you have or are renting in uk, try to bring as many glowing references with you as possible...make sure you have emails address as that will be easy for them to then pass on a creditable 'renters' proposal to an owner....

the most you can pay up front is no more than 4 weeks rent......to help you prepare or become aware of rental matters check out Residential Tenancy Authority (RTA)

we have been on sunny cost almost 4 yr.....winter ( now until 1st Sept) is a great time - warm days and fresh ( still double digits 12-15 degree) nights....and most of the tourist have gone, so locals spend time chatting at counters, or to checkout staff, so it may feel slow or laid back ......so enjoy it, as summers get warm and hummid, and tourist flock in .....and finding parking places gets fun.

Hi

Maroochy River resort is ok, please do not get alarmed, but it is a large cluster of holiday style chalets, around a lake with a restaurant-bottle shop and about 3km from maroochyodre........if that is where you thinking of 3 month stay - would suggest you look at places which are central - so you can walk/cycle places.....

as another posted said, it is now low season, and you can try to drive a bargain for a 3 month furnished to get you on your feet......gumtree is a good source for furniture and plenty of bargain shops to buy crockery and other items...

another matter you need to consider is if your child is going to school - try to focus on somewhere not too far from school

as others have said renting - can only be achieved by sucking up to the property agent.....if you have or are renting in uk, try to bring as many glowing references with you as possible...make sure you have emails address as that will be easy for them to then pass on a creditable 'renters' proposal to an owner....

the most you can pay up front is no more than 4 weeks rent......to help you prepare or become aware of rental matters check out Residential Tenancy Authority (RTA)

we have been on sunny cost almost 4 yr.....winter ( now until 1st Sept) is a great time - warm days and fresh ( still double digits 12-15 degree) nights....and most of the tourist have gone, so locals spend time chatting at counters, or to checkout staff, so it may feel slow or laid back ......so enjoy it, as summers get warm and hummid, and tourist flock in .....and finding parking places gets fun.

Maroochy river was our last choice to be honest due to location and obviously the chalet style camp site, I think we've found a place which is well within our budget now with bills included.

Unfortunately with regards to references we don't have any which will be a bit of a bummer, we've only lived in one home and it's council housing, we're only 27 so havn't had chance to rent a lot of places. I'm pretty sure my parents could give me an absolutely brilliant reference? :biglaugh:

Thank you all for your advice, I can always rely on you folks when things get tough and stressful to channel your positive vibes and advice!

Dan