psychology degree but what type master in oz that is on SOL

NNoor

Hi,

I did Science psychology bachelor degree and my parents have agreed to pay for my master course in OZ but only for 1 year due to cost. Since it is near impossible to get my skill assessed from APS as I don't have masters or six year education.

My question is what kind of master degree can I get into with bachelor in psychology that is on the SOL list demand and easier to get assessed as well? ideally 1 year master

any help would be appreciated

Have you considered that completing a two year Masters program (92 weeks minimum) may make you eligible for a subsequent Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) which will allow you to work in Australia temporarily to consolidate your experience (and professional recognition) and hence help make you more competitive in the General Skills Migration program.

In other words a two year Masters may be a better investment than a one year Masters.

Edited by ricco56

Have you considered that completing a two year Masters program (92 weeks minimum) may make you eligible for a subsequent Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) which will allow you to work in Australia temporarily to consolidate your experience (and professional recognition) and hence help make you more competitive in the General Skills Migration program.

In other words a two year Masters may be a better investment than a one year Masters.

I think the assessment body is changing to AHPRA and soon I will need to be chartered to gain successful assessment. I was thinking perhaps a school teacher, master in teaching and gain assessment?

any suggestion for other masters that I can do in the SOL list and gain assessment?

As far as I know any skills assessment would require post qualifying experience, a masters isn't necessarily needed. I have a degree in psychology and had a skills assessment as a 'Social Professional NEC' - all I had to do was provide a transcript of my degree. This isn't on the SOL though.

I don't think there is any quick and easy route for you, Australia wants skilled professionals not graduates, it has plenty of home grown ones.

I would review the SOL for options you may be interested in and look into what is required but bear in mind the SOL changes so by the time you qualify and have enough experience it may be off the list.

Certain professions are perhaps less likely to be removed such as Doctors, Nurses etc but were you to look at something like Child Care Manager then who knows how long it will be on.

How old are you? Is it worth doing a 2 year working holiday?

As far as I know any skills assessment would require post qualifying experience, a masters isn't necessarily needed. I have a degree in psychology and had a skills assessment as a 'Social Professional NEC' - all I had to do was provide a transcript of my degree. This isn't on the SOL though.

I don't think there is any quick and easy route for you, Australia wants skilled professionals not graduates, it has plenty of home grown ones.

I would review the SOL for options you may be interested in and look into what is required but bear in mind the SOL changes so by the time you qualify and have enough experience it may be off the list.

Certain professions are perhaps less likely to be removed such as Doctors, Nurses etc but were you to look at something like Child Care Manager then who knows how long it will be on.

How old are you? Is it worth doing a 2 year working holiday?

I am 23 years old and I am currently working as Business Psychologist. How would 2 years working holiday gain me permanent residency?

Thank you, I will look at the Child Care Manager Masters requirement.

I am 23 years old and I am currently working as Business Psychologist. How would 2 years working holiday gain me permanent residency?

Thank you, I will look at the Child Care Manager Masters requirement.

It probably wouldn't. Getting work in Australia as a psychologist requires you to leap through numerous hoops, not least of which are the flaming ones held high by AHPRA. If you want to be a psychologist get your qualifications and chartered status in UK then make the move but even so you might struggle to get work because of the registration process - some folk on here have found that tricky despite going over as chartered psychs.

Nothing is going to be quick and easy, it's something you are going to have to plan and devote several years to. The best option would probably be clinical Psych but, even then, I would probably go for a PhD rather than just a Masters.

I have been looking at the Childcare manager, I am struggling to find what the TRA requirement for childcare manager is?

I have managed to find a master in early childhood education, not sure if this is relevant for child care manager or teacher?

You won't qualify for a PR visa as a child care manager even with a masters, your work and educational experience don't support that as a pathway. Doing a 1 year masters in anything is unlikely to qualify you for PR. You seem to be looking for a quick and easy route, and there simply isn't one for you. Being a student here is extremely expensive. If you think by studying here for a year it will be a more direct way to stay it won't. If you can't qualify for APS registration it is going to be extremely difficult for you to find employment in your field, a masters won't change that.

I have been looking at the Childcare manager, I am struggling to find what the TRA requirement for childcare manager is?

I have managed to find a master in early childhood education, not sure if this is relevant for child care manager or teacher?

I think you are missing the point, you need work experience in an occupation on the SOL or state sponsored lists not more qualifications.

A masters in Early Childhood Education may make you more employable in the UK as a child care worker and you would then need to work your way up to being a child care manager and do that job for two years before you could apply. I would say you are probably talking about 5 years effort by which time Child Care Manager may or may not be on the list! I just picked out Child Care Manager as the sort of example that may or may not be around by the time you got sufficient experience, whereas something like Nurse is more likely to be. And a masters isn't required to do that job anyway so you may as well just get on and apply for a childcare apprenticeship and get paid.

The reason I suggested a WHV was it was an easier way to spend a year in Australia than doing a masters and if you could gain experience relevant to an occupation on the SOL it would increase your likelihood of a visa more than a masters would.

I honestly do not think there will be a faster route than sticking with psychology but if that is not something you want to do then it is a case of picking another occupation and gaining the qualifications and critically experience in that. It's a bit left-field but the only occupation I know where post qualification experience is not required is Engineering, you would need to do an appropriate degree though - you could do that in Australia if you have the funds of course. Do look at the https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/485- as someone else suggested.

I think you are missing the point, you need work experience in an occupation on the SOL or state sponsored lists not more qualifications.

A masters in Early Childhood Education may make you more employable in the UK as a child care worker and you would then need to work your way up to being a child care manager and do that job for two years before you could apply. I would say you are probably talking about 5 years effort by which time Child Care Manager may or may not be on the list! I just picked out Child Care Manager as the sort of example that may or may not be around by the time you got sufficient experience, whereas something like Nurse is more likely to be. And a masters isn't required to do that job anyway so you may as well just get on and apply for a childcare apprenticeship and get paid.

The reason I suggested a WHV was it was an easier way to spend a year in Australia than doing a masters and if you could gain experience relevant to an occupation on the SOL it would increase your likelihood of a visa more than a masters would.

I honestly do not think there will be a faster route than sticking with psychology but if that is not something you want to do then it is a case of picking another occupation and gaining the qualifications and critically experience in that. It's a bit left-field but the only occupation I know where post qualification experience is not required is Engineering, you would need to do an appropriate degree though - you could do that in Australia if you have the funds of course. Do look at the https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/485- as someone else suggested.

thanks for your help,

My brother is engineer he got 65 points on 189 without his work experience through age and superior English only, 15 points for degree, 20 points for superior English and 30 points for age. He got assessment with university degree and without any work experience as well.

thanks for your help,

My brother is engineer he got 65 points on 189 without his work experience through age and superior English only, 15 points for degree, 20 points for superior English and 30 points for age. He got assessment with university degree and without any work experience as well.

I can see why you think it's relatively easy then :) Like I said someone may correct me but I think Engineering is the only field in which no work experience is needed.

• 4 weeks later...

Where does it say that you need post qualification experience to get 189 visa???

I have been reading about it for ages and couldnt find that information anywhere.

I have a master of psychology (5years) and was really hoping I could apply for the visa and later get APHA certificates etc.

Where does it say that you need post qualification experience to get 189 visa???

As I read it, you do not require experience to get a successful skills assessment -The APS assess you solely on the basis of your academic qualifications. Whether your qualifications are sufficient to meet their criteria for the equivalent of 6 years of Australian study is what you need to be concerned with and you may end up assessed as a Psychologist (nec). Many psychology jobs in Australia as far as I can see require registration under the Psychology Board of Australia. You may struggle to find work without being registered, which is an entirely separate process which they can take into account work experience as well as qualifications. Apologies if I'm not reading it right, I'm going through the same process as you, this is just how I understand things...

If you got a skills assessment based solely on your education and weren't classified as an occupation listed on the SOL (or were refused one altogether), your only option would be to try to get registration from the Psychology Board of Australia. If you hold general registration then you'll be able to re-apply for the skills assessment which would come back positive.

Edited by thourb

As I read it, you do not require experience to get a successful skills assessment -The APS assess you solely on the basis of your academic qualifications...

Thank you very much! That clears some things up:)

Is there any other way to find out what courses/schools should I take to even it out? (my 5 years versus their 6 years)?

Cause it seems like I have to pay APS 1000$ to find out what it is that Im missing, pay for schools or exams or whatever and only after that apply for the visa, which probably won't be on the list anymore :(

#Frustrating

Edited by MaggieMay24
Fixed quote

As I read it, you do not require experience to get a successful skills assessment -The APS assess you solely on the basis of your academic qualifications...

Thank you very much! That clears some things up:)

Is there any other way to find out what courses/schools should I take to even it out? (my 5 years versus their 6 years)?

Cause it seems like I have to pay APS 1000$ to find out what it is that Im missing, pay for schools or exams or whatever and only after that apply for the visa, which probably won't be on the list anymore :(

#Frustrating

See http://www.ahpra.gov.au/Education/Approved-Programs-of-Study.aspx

Edited by MaggieMay24
Fixed quote