I made the move, I got sponsored, what next...

localboy

Firstly thank you to everyone who posts in this forum. Since I started using it in earnest, I've moved over to Australia, got sponsored by an employer and have just completed the first year of what's been a great experience. Now, for a question(s)...

My girlfriend is Australian, but half Maltese, so has a European passport (which was really helpful until a couple of weeks ago!) The plan was always for me to get my PR here in Australia and then head back to the UK for a couple of years, before ultimately having to decide here or there. Any help on the below would be really appreciated:

1. What date can I start the PR process- is it 2years post 457 granting? It was granted on 30 July 2015.

2. What are the T's & C's for then leaving Australia? Essentially, we're trying to understand at what date we can leave Australia, with me holding PR, to go back to the UK to 'try it' and then have options to choose (Acknowledging the added Brexit complication).

Thank you in advance- for considering this post and for all the other advice/experience which has been shared.

You can apply for PR at any time. The two year thing is a bit of a myth as all that does is remove the need for a skills assessment if going through employer sponsored PR. But, if you are eligible and can pass a skills assessment then you can do it at any time. Have a look at 189 and 190 visas. If your employer is willing to sponsor permanent residence, then look at 186

Thank you VeryStormy for the quick response, much appreciated. I doesn't look like my occupation (business consultant) would fall under the eligible criteria, so I'd need to rely on the ENS 186 I think? In terms of sponsoring by the employer- what does this mean for them? Is there a cost/implication for them? What I'm keen to understand is at 2yrs of sponsorship and continuted work under a 457, what options do I have next?

The employer can sponsor now if you can obtain a skills assessment.

The costs can be all passed to you, so different in that respect to a 457. I am not sure of the total costs, but I would estimate about $5k. However, while a 186 is fairly simple from your perspective, there can be complications for the employer and I would recommend a registered migration agent is used.

Archived