457 Dependant Visa Holder - Can I apply for a grad scheme?

Hello Poms in Oz!

This is my first post in the forum so please be nice...

Myself (Engineering Graduate) and my partner (Theatre Nurse) are on the verge of moving to WA and l need some advice being the dependent visa holder.

My partner (who I have been living with for the past two years), has been given a sponsorship opportunity on a 457 visa. She is a theatre nurse (scrub scout) and been offered a position in WA. We are excited!

I know that the 457 visa is only temporary, however we would be looking to become permanent residents after 2 years (hopefully).

I know that there are no restrictions on working rights as a dependent visa holder and I can apply and work anywhere, however will there be reluctance from professional employers to employ an engineering graduate who is only a secondary visa holder? Would the temporary nature of the 457 visa also hinder my chances?

Ps. I have a Masters degree in Civil Engineering.

Thanks in advance,

Craig & Lou.

If you want to move permanently I wouldn't wait the two years for the employer to hopefully sponsor you. On the face of it either of you could apply for a PR visa now. Employers do not have to sponsor for PR after two years and many decide not to for many reasons.

And yes employers can be a bit reluctant to employ when the visa is temp and you may get 90 days notice to leave at any time. And they should ask to see your visa as proof of working rights.

WA is going through a challenging time economically and one of the occupations particularly hard hit is engineering.

The holders of 457's can find it more challenging to find work at the best of times as you are only in the country temporarily.

Archived