Non-award student on a masters degree - 457 visa

GingerInTheSun

So ten years ago whilst on a working holiday visa, I applied to the University of New England to do a masters degree via distance learning. They told me that I could enrol, but only as a non-award student (so study the course on a unit by unit bases), but that when I achieved permanent residency I could then apply to have all my completed units converted into the Masters degree award.

I did just that and was placed on an online course with the masters students, submitting coursework and taking exams at the same pace. Anyway, things changed, I left Australia due to circumstances not under my control (see my Intro post) and I never completed my studies, taking up a different course of study elsewhere.

I'm now returning to Australia on a 457 visa. UNE have discontinued that particular masters degree but I'm quite keen to use the units of study to gain exemptions and do a part time masters somewhere else - could be a good way to make friends and gain an Aussie qualification for future career moves.

I can only study part time on my visa so not eligible to enrol as an international (full time) student. But I won't be seen as a permanent resident and therefore a domestic student for part time study. So I'm going to try my hand at applying to different uni's in Sydney and see if any of them will take me on as a non-award student as UNE did (although that was for distance rather than part time!).

Will let you know how I get on, if anyone has their two cents to add, let me know!

On a 457 you will be an international student (I think that might be what you meant). Universities see you coming with your cheque book in hand so you should be ok for an international student application. They love the moolah!

• 2 months later...

You will need to check with the uni to see if the time limit has expired for the units you completed. You usually have only 5 -8 years to either complete the masters or convert the units to a new degree. I just went through this. Started a degree in 2009 and converted the units in 2004 and had to double up to complete the degree before the 2009 units expired