Anaesthetist applying for skilled 189 visa, any tips gratefully received

Dan Mika

Dear All,

My wife is an Anaesthetist and will also need to apply a skilled visa 189 (I am applying first, my wifes will be slightly later). She is qualified in Switzerland and Europe. Does anyone have experience of getting qualifications recognized in order to work in Australia. I have visited the AHPRA website but its not too specific for Anaesthetists (they are listed on the skilled occ. list).

Experience of Anaesthetist's specifically applying would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Daniel

Your wife does not need to apply for a skilled visa. When you apply for your 189 visa, you include all of your family and if you are approved, they will also get a 189 visa automatically.

However, getting the visa does not mean you will both be able to work in Australia. You must also have your qualifications recognised by the appropriate professional bodies in Australia. That is totally separate from your visa application. I can't advise what would be needed for an anaesthetist, perhaps someone else will be able to advise.

Thanks for clarifying that point. This was my original understanding, but then I read something that suggested she must apply herself. Now I re-read it, I can see I misunderstood this.

In our case I think this means she will be eligible to live/work (after the 189 visa is granted - which is already a long way off!), but to be recognized as an Anaesthetist is quite a lengthy process from what I can see on the ANZCA website. Hence, it would be good to hear from anyone who has gone through the process and survived to tell the tale :)

Thanks for clarifying that point. This was my original understanding, but then I read something that suggested she must apply herself. Now I re-read it, I can see I misunderstood this.

In our case I think this means she will be eligible to live/work (after the 189 visa is granted - which is already a long way off!), but to be recognized as an Anaesthetist is quite a lengthy process from what I can see on the ANZCA website. Hence, it would be good to hear from anyone who has gone through the process and survived to tell the tale :)

You can call local recruitment places that hire overseas doctors. They can guide on you on the requirements.

• 3 weeks later...
Dear All,

My wife is an Anaesthetist and will also need to apply a skilled visa 189 (I am applying first, my wifes will be slightly later). She is qualified in Switzerland and Europe. Does anyone have experience of getting qualifications recognized in order to work in Australia. I have visited the AHPRA website but its not too specific for Anaesthetists (they are listed on the skilled occ. list).

Experience of Anaesthetist's specifically applying would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Daniel

Hi Daniel

please could I ask how you found the FANZA process if you are now registered and what if any restrictions there are in relating to your location of work? My DH believes he may be restricted to a DWS? Are you able to confirm if possible please?

I have just started a thread looking for answers and found this afterwards with suggested threads.

Thank you. A

Hi,

We have not started the process at all. I am not sure what you're referring to with FANZA and DWS. I am applying for a skilled visa 189 and we will aim to get my wife's anaesthesia skills recognised there (although preparing as much as possible in advance here before we leave). We are right at the beginning of the process of applying for the skilled visa.

Archived