is Victorian children complete schooling one year late when compare to NSW children!?

ss9999

Hi All,

I am confused about school year starting age in Victoria and NSW. I noticed that NSW school age cut off is 31st July, whereas in Victoria it is 30th April.

My daughter born in May, so she is going prep now(Living in victoria). But if I live in NSW, my daughter would be in Grade 1. So if we consider this difference, is she going to complete her schooling one year late compare to NSW children?

Please enlighten me :(

Thanks!!

Sri

Edited by ss9999

Most kids with a May birthday in NSW will wait until they have turned 5 to start school because parents have realized that the extra year's maturity will stand them in good stead when they get to the stresses of HSC. As long as she gets her 12+1 years in it won't matter whether she is one of the older kids in the class or not. If you move to NSW just keep her with the same year group - she won't be out of place! So, no she won't be a year "late". Are you planning on moving to NSW or is this just hypothetical?

Most kids with a May birthday in NSW will wait until they have turned 5 to start school because parents have realized that the extra year's maturity will stand them in good stead when they get to the stresses of HSC. As long as she gets her 12+1 years in it won't matter whether she is one of the older kids in the class or not. If you move to NSW just keep her with the same year group - she won't be out of place! So, no she won't be a year "late". Are you planning on moving to NSW or is this just hypothetical?

Thanks for your reply!

What you said makes sense. If my kid going to waste/late one year, then i am considering to move to NSW. But again, if my daughter is studying prep and when we move to NSW, will NSW allow her to grade 1 or not, need to check. But I have to think about your valid point "extra year's maturity will stand them in good stead". Have to think !!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by ss9999

Thanks for your reply!

What you said makes sense. If my kid going to waste/late one year, then i am considering to move to NSW. But again, if my daughter is studying prep and when we move to NSW, will NSW allow her to grade 1 or not, need to check. But I have to think about your valid point "extra year's maturity will stand them in good stead". Have to think !!!!!!!!!!!!

She won't be wasting or being late for anything - don't push her! Certainly don't move states just because she could theoretically be in a year higher in school. If she was in NSW the chances are she would be in Kindergarten because the school would have advised you wait until she is 5 in order to start school, especially if English is not her first language!