Moving to Melbourne - zoned primary schools

Beffers

Moving to Melbourne Dec/Jan, and have enrolled our daughter into primary school as she is eligible to start school in their Prep year from end Jan 2017. Living with friends when we first arrive so have enrolled at their local zoned school. What happens when we move out from there and rent/buy our own place - do we have to change school if we then buy/rent a home outside of their zone - we could never afford to buy a house in their suburb, it's just too expensive for us.

Anyone had this issue, or know anything about the VIC education system?

Many thanks!

Moving to Melbourne Dec/Jan, and have enrolled our daughter into primary school as she is eligible to start school in their Prep year from end Jan 2017. Living with friends when we first arrive so have enrolled at their local zoned school. What happens when we move out from there and rent/buy our own place - do we have to change school if we then buy/rent a home outside of their zone - we could never afford to buy a house in their suburb, it's just too expensive for us.

Anyone had this issue, or know anything about the VIC education system?

Many thanks!

A lot of primary schools are not zoned so it won't matter. I'm surprised you have enrolled her before you arrive - very trusting of you that the school is a good one and will suit her!

BB

It depends on the school and how strictly they enforce the zone. Most will not ask a child to leave even if they leave the zone after starting school. Obviously you may want to move her anyway at some point unless you want to drive a long way to school every day for 7 years.

My son's school is zoned and we had to provide proof of address before he could be enrolled (a long term tenancy agreement would have sufficed but not a short term rental). If your daughter's school allowed her to be enrolled without that then you have nothing to worry about - other than what's wrong with the school that means it isn't popular enough to need to enforce a zone? :laugh:

Hi thanks, This one is zoned, but our first address in Melbourne is in their zone, It's also been highly recommended by friends who have put all four children through the school (the youngest still being there). I guess I won't know if it suits her until she starts, just like any school!

It is zoned, which is why we approached them as our first address is literally two streets from the school. They have accepted her as an international arrival and they have sent me all the enrolment forms etc so that they can include her within their grading structures for January 2017.

That's great thanks, That's the bit I needed to know, We will only be moving probably two suburbs away, but it's enough to make a big difference to the house prices! Melbourne suburbs seems to vary a great deal! Thanks again :)

That's great thanks, That's the bit I needed to know, We will only be moving probably two suburbs away, but it's enough to make a big difference to the house prices! Melbourne suburbs seems to vary a great deal! Thanks again :)

When it comes to secondary schools that enforce a zone, they can be a bit more ruthless. They do sometimes expect that you will move your child if you move house and some will call around to your address to check that you actually live there! Primary schools are usually not so concerned. That price difference in a move of two suburbs can sometimes relate to the quality of the secondary school in the more expensive suburb. It has been estimated to add a 6 figure premium in some areas.

Ah okay, that explains quite a bit. I guess when we are buying a house there, we will need to be thinking to future-proof her transition from primary to secondary. Thanks for that :)

When it comes to secondary schools that enforce a zone, they can be a bit more ruthless. They do sometimes expect that you will move your child if you move house and some will call around to your address to check that you actually live there! Primary schools are usually not so concerned. That price difference in a move of two suburbs can sometimes relate to the quality of the secondary school in the more expensive suburb. It has been estimated to add a 6 figure premium in some areas.

Archived