Things we should have done before moving back.

STEVEPEACOCK

Well its been a mad and frustrating few months and not over yet. We left Perth on the 29th May and although we thought we were reasonably prepared we could have done a lot more.

Changing addresses - we had registered all out utilities, banks, ATO etc online so those where we didn't change addresses could be done when back in the UK.

Mistake - ATO & Banks send a security SMS & as we no longer have Aussie phones these were no use. we should have done this in Auss'

No Claims discount for car insurance, statements were obtained before leaving Auss', problem is that Auss' companies will only state the years NCD earned with them. British companies won't accept statement of 9 years from the UK & then add 3 years from Auss'. It needs to be on the same statement or they class the 9 years as lapsed. Actually getting a statement that my Auss' insurance company had initially accepted British NCD on same statement proved extremely Bl**dy difficult.

By the way not all company's will accept Auss' NCD - ARIVA do.

1 thing we did do but cannot stipulate enough - make sure insurances are stopped from your superan' if not this will simply deplete your pot. We had experienced this before so were on top of it.

Packing and other preparations could also have been better, things we rushed as we decided to have a weeks holiday in Bali just before we left, well it is expensive from the UK. But travel agents advice on luggage allowance was 20kg short, which coulkd have been put to good use considering it will be another 6 weeks before Movecube arrives. (Conceige business travel - crap).

All in all, it was as bad moving back as moving there, we thought we knew what we were doing in the UK !!! but its still full of Bl**dy jobsworths.

On the positive side, we were worried at how my sons year 10 schooling would be considered and opinions so far opinions have been quite favourable plus he went out 1st week and got a part time job in Sports direct while applying for apprenticeships & college etc.

Well its been a mad and frustrating few months and not over yet. We left Perth on the 29th May and although we thought we were reasonably prepared we could have done a lot more.

Changing addresses - we had registered all out utilities, banks, ATO etc online so those where we didn't change addresses could be done when back in the UK.

Mistake - ATO & Banks send a security SMS & as we no longer have Aussie phones these were no use. we should have done this in Auss'

No Claims discount for car insurance, statements were obtained before leaving Auss', problem is that Auss' companies will only state the years NCD earned with them. British companies won't accept statement of 9 years from the UK & then add 3 years from Auss'. It needs to be on the same statement or they class the 9 years as lapsed. Actually getting a statement that my Auss' insurance company had initially accepted British NCD on same statement proved extremely Bl**dy difficult.

By the way not all company's will accept Auss' NCD - ARIVA do.

1 thing we did do but cannot stipulate enough - make sure insurances are stopped from your superan' if not this will simply deplete your pot. We had experienced this before so were on top of it.

Packing and other preparations could also have been better, things we rushed as we decided to have a weeks holiday in Bali just before we left, well it is expensive from the UK. But travel agents advice on luggage allowance was 20kg short, which coulkd have been put to good use considering it will be another 6 weeks before Movecube arrives. (Conceige business travel - crap).

All in all, it was as bad moving back as moving there, we thought we knew what we were doing in the UK !!! but its still full of Bl**dy jobsworths.

On the positive side, we were worried at how my sons year 10 schooling would be considered and opinions so far opinions have been quite favourable plus he went out 1st week and got a part time job in Sports direct while applying for apprenticeships & college etc.

Really good to read this and take on board someone else experiences. We too are moving back to the UK from Perth shortly and do not know where to start. Hadn't even thought about insurances and no claims etc etc.

Out of curiosity, why did you leave Perth?

Cheers

A good lesson that it's never wise to close things down too quickly when you're leaving (either UK or Australia).

I would say, don't close all your bank accounts, even if you're leaving for good - you never know when some unexpected leftover expense will crop up and it's a lot easier to deal with when you've still got the account. Anyway if there's any chance you may return on holiday at some point, you can view it as a holiday fund.

Ditto mobile phones - as you pointed out, so many companies use SMS these days, and also there's always at least one friend or colleague you forgot to tell, or who didn't update your number in their records. Most companies will let you switch the contract to Prepaid - I switched my Vodafone contract to one where I prepaid $20 which didn't expire for 12 months.

The biggest headache for us was when we arrived since we didn't have a credit rating AND we're not working. So that meant paying 6 months rent upfront and being able to get only the most basic of bank accounts (and no credit card or overdraft). Having a job offer would make that easier.

Edited by Marisawright

We were on a 457 visa with a Shi* company, job was made redundant with another 6 months or so needed to get residency ( I had just completed the 4 years needed over 50 yrs old). No help from the company & chance of securing another job to qualify for residence not good in the 90 days allowed to leave the country. Even then the 4 years restarts & nothing to say the same thing would not happen again in 2020 !!

Yes I still have to keep a UK prepay sim going for UK bank texts as some just can't send to overseas phones. We kept our Aus numbers by topping up to avoid expiry when we were in the UK, the credit didn't expire so when we came over on holiday we had plenty to use, when we moved back Virgin credited any leftover to a contract deal so we never lost out.

We just keep the sims in a cheap dual sim non smartphone for this purpose using the conversion things so the nano sims fit.

We were on a 457 visa with a Shi* company, job was made redundant with another 6 months or so needed to get residency ( I had just completed the 4 years needed over 50 yrs old). No help from the company & chance of securing another job to qualify for residence not good in the 90 days allowed to leave the country. Even then the 4 years restarts & nothing to say the same thing would not happen again in 2020 !!

....and people wonder why we warn people against trying to get PR by coming on a 457. Yes it does work sometimes, but these forums are littered with people it didn't work for. It's funny how everyone thinks it won't happen to them.

I am also on 457 and only been here 8 months before my position was made redundant. I'm glad I'm going back though, was never sure this is the right place to begin with.

....and people wonder why we warn people against trying to get PR by coming on a 457. Yes it does work sometimes, but these forums are littered with people it didn't work for. It's funny how everyone thinks it won't happen to them.