Wanting to move, need advice, a little scared.

AllTimeZombie

Hey to anyone who might be reading this.

I'm 19, suffer with depression and anxiety and I have it in my head that I want to live in Australia but I don't know how to go about it. I don't currently work. I did hairdressing up until a level 2 qualification and have done level 2 barbering. I took a year out to just work on my mental health and am now going to start a level 3 science course in September to later move onto forensic science.

Can anyone tell me if it's expensive to pay for a course in Australia and live there?

If it's better to just try to work there for a year if i can instead of doing a course?

How much money would I really need if I was to share a place with someone?

Is it generally a pretty safe country?

What are the people like?

How much would it cost to transport a cat? (might take her with me if I can but might not)

I don't know if anyone can help me. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I would suggest that you really need to get your mental health back to the best possible level before you even think about trekking alone to the other side of the world. It's tough enough for the most resilient of us.

Studying in Australia as an international student is prohibitively expensive so unless you have a lot of money to burn (could be anywhere between £30-60k depending on course, location, accommodation, capacity to work etc etc) and are prepared to leave at the end of your course because chances are you wont be able to get a permanent visa at the end of it anyway. Far more sensible to get your studies completed in UK, get some experience then see if your qualifications are in the skills list - you've got plenty of time.

if you take your cat, there is a good chance that they will turn you around at the airport because it rather looks like you would be doing more than just taking a year out on a WHV. WHVs are great but you will need to be strong mentally to get out there and do whatever it takes to get jobs, connect with other travellers etc and not really for the faint hearted.

Australia is about as safe as UK. - just watch out for the crocs, sharks and spiders LOL. But, being a WHV person you are marginally more at risk IMHO because you will be interacting with other people you have only casual acquaintance ships with, you will be trying new things which could potentially lead you into situations which might be less safe than you are used to - just because you are intent on having adventures.

People are people the whole world over. Some are fabulous and some are a waste of space - no one size fits all!

Dont expect Australia to cure all your ills but have an adventure by all means!

I would suggest that you really need to get your mental health back to the best possible level before you even think about trekking alone to the other side of the world. It's tough enough for the most resilient of us.

Seconded. (I've worked in psychiatry for the past 35 years, and fully endorse what Quoll said.)

Studying in Australia as an international student is prohibitively expensive so unless you have a lot of money to burn (could be anywhere between £30-60k depending on course, location, accommodation, capacity to work etc etc) and are prepared to leave at the end of your course because chances are you wont be able to get a permanent visa at the end of it anyway. Far more sensible to get your studies completed in UK, get some experience then see if your qualifications are in the skills list - you've got plenty of time.

if you take your cat, there is a good chance that they will turn you around at the airport because it rather looks like you would be doing more than just taking a year out on a WHV. WHVs are great but you will need to be strong mentally to get out there and do whatever it takes to get jobs, connect with other travellers etc and not really for the faint hearted.

Australia is about as safe as UK. - just watch out for the crocs, sharks and spiders LOL. But, being a WHV person you are marginally more at risk IMHO because you will be interacting with other people you have only casual acquaintance ships with, you will be trying new things which could potentially lead you into situations which might be less safe than you are used to - just because you are intent on having adventures.

People are people the whole world over. Some are fabulous and some are a waste of space - no one size fits all!

Dont expect Australia to cure all your ills but have an adventure by all means!

This. All great advice.

Archived