Will my masters degree definately count with AITSL?

Needtoknow

Hi. I am a Primary teacher but I need an extra year of university study in order to pass a skills test with AITSL.

I have a bachelor degree in education, but it needed to be 4 and not 3 years.

I asked AITSL and they wouldn't advise on which course to take, but I thought an MA in education would be a good idea.

I don't wish to study but have no choice, so before I embark upon taking a year out for studying and, in the process, it costing me over £10,000 I'd appreciate knowing if 180 UK credits would be accepted. How do these credits compare over there?

I'd really appreciate any advice available.

Thanks

Have you considered coming to Australia on a student visa and completing a post grad program here? The AITSL publishes a list of courses and providers in each State http://www.aitsl.edu.au/initial-teacher-education/accredited-programs-list which meets their accreditation requirements.

You may be able to negotiate some advanced standing in a program based on your current teaching quals and experience. Graduate programs tend to have a 'school based' component and hence this provides an opportunity to observe our education system at close quarters, and also to make useful contacts regarding possible future employment opportunities. A grad program may also provide an opportunity to position yourself for employment by training in an area of particular need (eg Primary science/maths)

If you subsequently obtain permanent residence the time spent here as a student can also contribute towards the 4 yr qualification period for Australian citizenship.

Hi. I am a Primary teacher but I need an extra year of university study in order to pass a skills test with AITSL.

I asked AITSL and they wouldn't advise on which course to take, but I thought an MA in education would be a good idea.

I don't wish to study but have no choice, so before I embark upon taking a year out for studying and, in the process, it costing me over £10,000 I'd appreciate knowing if 180 UK credits would be accepted. How do these credits compare over there?

Thanks

Before you invest any funds in q

Before you invest any funds at all in emigrating as a primary school teacher you need to decide if your main priority is a ticket to a visa, or to continue in your profession. There is a massive oversupply of primary teachers in Australia. You need to think about what other employable skills you have in the event that you invest in a visa but cannot find work when you arrive.

Thanks

As long as your original primary degree satisfies AITSL (in terms of content), then any full time one year course may make you eligible to meet the four year university study criteria. It is of course more beneficial to study an area of education.

Primary teachers are not in demand (we have a massive over supply), so do consider that before you study. Perhaps consider training to be a secondary teacher, if Australia is your goal.

There are never any guarantees though, so it is hard to say if it will 'definitely' get you a visa/job.

Edited by Sammy1

Have you considered coming to Australia on a student visa and completing a post grad program here? The AITSL publishes a list of courses and providers in each State http://www.aitsl.edu.au/initial-teacher-education/accredited-programs-list which meets their accreditation requirements.

You may be able to negotiate some advanced standing in a program based on your current teaching quals and experience. Graduate programs tend to have a 'school based' component and hence this provides an opportunity to observe our education system at close quarters, and also to make useful contacts regarding possible future employment opportunities. A grad program may also provide an opportunity to position yourself for employment by training in an area of particular need (eg Primary science/maths)

If you subsequently obtain permanent residence the time spent here as a student can also contribute towards the 4 yr qualification period for Australian citizenship.

Everything you said makes absolute sense, but there are reasons I probably can't do these things. I would love to see the system over there, but I think the school based degree is a master of teaching which is 2 years full time.

Firstly, I'm too old for student visa (45) and will need to train for just one year as I will need to work. Then there's the international student fees!

Unless of course, I work on a casual basis and train part time over a longer period. Very frustrating.

Before you invest any funds at all in emigrating as a primary school teacher you need to decide if your main priority is a ticket to a visa, or to continue in your profession. There is a massive oversupply of primary teachers in Australia. You need to think about what other employable skills you have in the event that you invest in a visa but cannot find work when you arrive.

Thanks Rosie. I may be able to come on my husband's 457 if he gets it, so it doesn't necessarily have to be for a visa. However, I have heard it's not definite he will get PR so this was an idea as an insurance policy if you like.

I am aware of the over supply of teachers and it worries me, but my strengths lie with teaching and I can't see me doing anything else with a primary teaching degree. Unless anyone has advice? Could I try secondary? If I could do a 1 year course I would try that. Any ideas? It's just that at my age I can't do another 4 year course to get a maths degree or whatever subject really and wouldn't this be necessary to teach a secondary subject?

As long as your original primary degree satisfies AITSL (in terms of content), then any full time one year course may make you eligible to meet the four year university study criteria. It is of course more beneficial to study an area of education.

Primary teachers are not in demand (we have a massive over supply), so do consider that before you study. Perhaps consider training to be a secondary teacher, if Australia is your goal.

There are never any guarantees though, so it is hard to say if it will 'definitely' get you a visa/job.

Hi Sammy. Which one year degree could I do though? Aren't all 1 year degrees just masters?

Please see my comments to Rosie regarding the secondary posts. I sent those questions to the wrong person.

I would do it if there is a way to do it without doing another full 3 or 4 yr degree. Thanks for replying.