moving from Adelaide to Brisbane

Trigger1012

Hi everyone,

We have been living in Adelaide for the past 18months after moving from Wales, UK. We are currently on a 457 visa with a view to getting PR end of next year.

We do like Adelaide however we find that there's simply not enough to do here and feel like Brisbane might have more to offer (sports, weather, weekend getaways etc)

Are there any recommendations on suburbs to look at for short term renting with a view to eventually buying?

We love the beach/café lifestyle although we know we would have to choose suburbs a bit more inland due to housing prices. Good schools and family orientated suburbs would also be preferred.

Any advice is welcome and we look forward to your replies :) Steve & Alex.

Hi

What location would work be ? and is the employer able to offer a transfer or would you need a company to take over the sponsorship?

Brisbane doesnt really have beaches other than the man made one in the city, so if you want to be close-ish you would need to towards Sunny Coast and Gold Coast, hence the above questions.

Cal x

Thanks for the reply....

I should have made it clear we'll be staying in Adelaide until we gain PR. So won't be moving for close to 2 years!

we just want recommended suburbs to look at in the mean time, we'll be doing a fair few recky trips to Queensland and would like to narrow a search down a bit.

As far as jobs go it's likely they'll be within 10km of the cbd although we can't be 100%.

Its just a rough guide to nice family orientated suburbs with decent schools and acceptable housing prices for first timers like us that we are after?

Thanks Steve & Alex

Thanks for the reply....

I should have made it clear we'll be staying in Adelaide until we gain PR. So won't be moving for close to 2 years!

we just want recommended suburbs to look at in the mean time, we'll be doing a fair few recky trips to Queensland and would like to narrow a search down a bit.

As far as jobs go it's likely they'll be within 10km of the cbd although we can't be 100%.

Its just a rough guide to nice family orientated suburbs with decent schools and acceptable housing prices for first timers like us that we are after?

Thanks Steve & Alex

Just an aside. Why are you waiting for two years to get your PR visa? Is there some reason you cannot get it now? I am concerned that you could be planning to take the employer sponsored transition stream and then think you can move to Brisbane the minute you get it. As a visa strategy, this is not a great idea.

Just an aside. Why are you waiting for two years to get your PR visa? Is there some reason you cannot get it now? I am concerned that you could be planning to take the employer sponsored transition stream and then think you can move to Brisbane the minute you get it. As a visa strategy, this is not a great idea.

I was told by our immigration officer that after getting sponsored (which happened in December just gone) I'd need to work for the company who sponsor me for a minimum 2 years before applying for PR or at least it's easier to get after the 2 years work? So I'm led to believe anyway!

As for then moving to Queensland after gaining PR my boss is cool with that as I'd have been working here for almost 4 years by then. Not sure what you mean by 'visa strategy' thou?

I was told by our immigration officer that after getting sponsored (which happened in December just gone) I'd need to work for the company who sponsor me for a minimum 2 years before applying for PR or at least it's easier to get after the 2 years work? So I'm led to believe anyway!

As for then moving to Queensland after gaining PR my boss is cool with that as I'd have been working here for almost 4 years by then. Not sure what you mean by 'visa strategy' thou?

No you do not have to work for two years in order to lodge a permanent visa application. All that two years means is that a skills assessment can be bypassed. Take a skills assessment and there is no two year waiting period. And of course there are skilled migrant visas, which are permanent and many people obtain without ever stepping foot in Australia.

The permanent employer sponsored visa is not granted as an award for having done your time. It is a forward looking visa and bith you and the employer will be required to sign statements indicating your intention to remain in the role (you) and the intention to keep you in the role (employer). If you plan to leave as soon as you get your visa and indeed if your emoloyer is happy to go along with this, then you and they are colluding in visa fraud and that is what I mean is a poor visa strategy. (I can see you have no intention to break the rules by the way, but that is what you would be doing).

Have you looked into legitimate options, like skilled migration?

We lived in Bracken Ridge ( Northern Suberb ) for the 1st 8 months. 5 minutes from Sandgate beach. 5 minutes from main road into Brisbane CBD. Lovely area, definitely worth a look .

Thanks a lot ceddy we will have a look at Bracken Hill

Living in Brisbane......

You need to consider where you will be working then base your search near this. Brisbane is very much a North and South city with fairly poor links between especially during rush hours. There are loads of Bracken Ridge like areas, do you want beech, bush or city? Some burbs are becoming very expensive, some are now miles away. There are a lot of units popping up so do research development status of the burb.

Near train ail station drives costs up, good schools drive costs up etc.

Great city to live, it does remind me of Adelaide slightly just bigger with more happening, does not have that big city dirt and attitude yet.

S

Archived