Mechanic: best shipping a toolbox or shipping tools alone

Glin89

Hi Guys,

We have recently been granted our skilled independent permanent residency visa so now we're getting ready to move. I am a mechanic and have my own tools in a single stack toolbox, and was dead set on selling them. But now I'm considering just taking them with me and I'm looking for some advice.

Is it possible to just fill normal boxes or duffel bags with my tools and ship over as normal freight. How much do you reckon this would cost.

To ship over my toolbox would be a nightmare and expensive and would sit in quarantine for 3 months.

Thank you very much guys for your help.

Not sure why you think it would sit in quarantine for 3 months , they just need to be cleaned with jeyes fluid , I cleaned all my tools , carpentry and mechanics and shipped the lot they stunk of the stuff .This included a myford lath , pillar drill and small Miller , mig welder I had no problems a lot cheaper than buying new out here.

i'm an electrician and I'm bringing mine with me in luggage.. I'm planning on take 5 or 6 bags and just paying the excess fees. Even if shipping was cheaper, I think I'd want my tools with me, since I need them to work. But I suspect you have much more than me so perhaps it's not practical.

I though if taking a mechanics type toolbox full of tools trough customs it had to be held in quarantine for a length of time before they are released. I have heard from various people this is usually 3 months. I though it might also be cheaper to leave the box and package up the tools and send them alone.

Wooba. Can I ask how your going about taking them as excess baggage. I could probably fit all my tools into one large luggage case. But weight wise I would need to split them between two. But additional luggage onto emirates is absolutley extortionate. Like more than the price of the flights

Glin, I'm just taking extra luggage. The prices/allowances change from airline to airline.

For example, I'm almost certainly going to use Air Canada.

With this I get 2 luggage at 23kg. If I increase each of those to 30kg it will cost me an additional C$200 (C$100 each). Then any additional bag up to 30kg will cost me C$225. So if I bring say, 6 pieces of luggage I'll pay C$1100 (plus tax) in excess fees.. not cheap, but believe it or not cheaper than shipping it otherwise..

Ahhh I see what you mean. When you work it out like that it makes sense! 6 extra bags though.. jeezo! I had a look at a parcel company and they will supply 2 large boxes (54x40x40cm) roughly... and ship from Glasgow to Perth for £200 approx. Box is 30kgs each I'm estimating. I'm going to weigh everything I want to take and get a proper quote tomorrow. Failing that I'll try and ship the full box

6 bags (or whatever I end up taking) sounds like a lot, but keep in mind that it's based on weight.. some of them will likely be small boxes with heavy things, not actual suitcases.. Shouldn't be too difficult to handle just briefly at the airport when arriving..

Yeah fair enough. I just checked emirates again. We get a 30kgs hold luggage case each and a 10kg cabin bag each the excess baggage charges are in the pic below if it works

Screenshot_2016-05-03-00-51-29.jpg

If not.. For one extra case of 25 kilos, emirates are asking for over £1100. It's unbelievable.

Screenshot_2016-05-03-00-51-29.jpg

I though if taking a mechanics type toolbox full of tools trough customs it had to be held in quarantine for a length of time before they are released. I have heard from various people this is usually 3 months. I though it might also be cheaper to leave the box and package up the tools and send them alone.

Wooba. Can I ask how your going about taking them as excess baggage. I could probably fit all my tools into one large luggage case. But weight wise I would need to split them between two. But additional luggage onto emirates is absolutley extortionate. Like more than the price of the flights

My hubby has shipped his bricklaying tools a couple of times cleaned and in a large metal tool box - they have never been held by quarantine and released with the shipment of furniture

Bear in mind tools over here are very expensive especially snap on if you by these. I would ship everything over and bring a basic kit on the plane , we opened a account with anz which gave us 50 kg each with Emirates ,when we checked in it was 135kg in all bags , the lady was very kind and said enjoy your new life , no charge

Hi Guys,

We have recently been granted our skilled independent permanent residency visa so now we're getting ready to move. I am a mechanic and have my own tools in a single stack toolbox, and was dead set on selling them. But now I'm considering just taking them with me and I'm looking for some advice.

Is it possible to just fill normal boxes or duffel bags with my tools and ship over as normal freight. How much do you reckon this would cost.

To ship over my toolbox would be a nightmare and expensive and would sit in quarantine for 3 months.

Thank you very much guys for your help.

Hi Glin,

I'm thinking the tools will be heavy right? You are better off shipping in a part container as personal effects. If they are cleaned well enough without contamination they will be fine - they will be inspected though when you bring them in. Where are you bringing them from and to?

Thanks -