Medical history and employment

newjez

I'm thinking of applying for a new job. Problem is, I was diagnosed with non Hodgkin's lymphoma ten years ago. I'm currently in remission, but at fifty, with my medical history, I would never get life insurance outside of my employer.

So, I need to ask my potential new employer if they provide life insurance underwritten without medical. It's a big company so they might. But I'm not sure how I'll phrase the question.

Should I just come write out and reveal my medical history? I know that may come out in my references anyway. I haven't had a sick day in over a year despite having a weak immune system. But I suffered from infections in the previous years, and had chemo five years ago when I had a lot of time off.

Where do I stand if I reveal my history. I know in theory I'm protected by the DDA. But it's impossible to prove in an interview situation.

But I guess, at the end of the day I'm not desperate. I already have a great job. So maybe I should just lay my cards on the table?

What do you think?

I'm thinking of applying for a new job. Problem is, I was diagnosed with non Hodgkin's lymphoma ten years ago. I'm currently in remission, but at fifty, with my medical history, I would never get life insurance outside of my employer.

So, I need to ask my potential new employer if they provide life insurance underwritten without medical. It's a big company so they might. But I'm not sure how I'll phrase the question.

Should I just come write out and reveal my medical history? I know that may come out in my references anyway. I haven't had a sick day in over a year despite having a weak immune system. But I suffered from infections in the previous years, and had chemo five years ago when I had a lot of time off.

Where do I stand if I reveal my history. I know in theory I'm protected by the DDA. But it's impossible to prove in an interview situation.

But I guess, at the end of the day I'm not desperate. I already have a great job. So maybe I should just lay my cards on the table?

What do you think?

I didn't realise death in service benefit excluded pre-existing conditions - I thought all employees got it. But, if not, I'd say this is one for the final interview (the one with HR): "My current employer has some really great benefits, like the death in service benefit. It's x times your salary, and everyone gets it regardless of age or pre-existing conditions. Do you have that here as well?" That way you're not actually saying/implying that *you* have a pre-existing condition, just asking a general question.

I didn't realise death in service benefit excluded pre-existing conditions - I thought all employees got it. But, if not, I'd say this is one for the final interview (the one with HR): "My current employer has some really great benefits, like the death in service benefit. It's x times your salary, and everyone gets it regardless of age or pre-existing conditions. Do you have that here as well?" That way you're not actually saying/implying that *you* have a pre-existing condition, just asking a general question.

Not a bad idea, thanks.

Why should your employer provide life insurance?

Your superannuation fund might offer life insurance but that's between you and your super fund.

I do have a small life policy with my super fund. But the UK companies often offers them with a pension fund. I guess my age is sufficient grounds.

I also know some people who work for the company, so I could ask them discreetly.

Archived