Same-Sex Partner Visa!

Stacey Melling

Hey guys!

Just wondering if anyone's in the same boat as me, or knows of any similar experiences.

We're a lesbian couple (me British and her Australian) applying for the de-facto visa...in the throes of getting everything together now. 22 months of things I'm going through!

Just a quickie, we registered our relationship in March, and the certificate came back as a civil partnership- woman said there was some legislative changes. I was wondering if immi will look at it any differently?

2 Q's: 1- Does anybody have any same-sex experiences on the defacto? I'm panicking a little, and it's a bit of a grey area on the internet.

2- Could anyone recommend a good migration agent? I'm confident of putting everything together; It's just for a few small questions I have, and someone to smooth over everything at the end!

Stacey

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Stacey, I'm sure one of our members does but I can't remember who it was. Hopefully someone will be along soon to advise.

Unfortunately i can't help you on the same sex side of things but I did put together a defacto 457 visa for me and my partner. Here is a list of defacto evidence that we personally used, it may be over the top but too much is better than not enough.

Did you register the relationship to waiver the 12 month limit?

Defacto Evidence that we used:

Travel Tickets

All Travel Receipts

Car Insurance with named drivers

Valentines Cards

Wedding Invites

Xmas Cards 2014

Xmas Cards 2015

Photographs Undated

Photographs Dated

Electricity Bills

Form 888 x 2

ISP Bills

Financial Statements - Joint

Joint Relationship Statement (4 Pages)

Telephone Bills

Lease

As of right now...our evidence has filled two shoe-boxes. Too much?

Depends on the quality of the evidence... Skype chats etc might as well go in bin now. A piece of financial evidence for each of the 12 months leading up to your application would be fab.

Actually a lot of physical evidence; receipts, statements, super forms, wills, joint accounts, declarations, cards/letters, tickets. Etc. In terms of the "Skype" things...just enough to prove that we spoke and maintained our relationship whenever we weren't travelling to visit the other.

Actually a lot of physical evidence; receipts, statements, super forms, wills, joint accounts, declarations, cards/letters, tickets. Etc. In terms of the "Skype" things...just enough to prove that we spoke and maintained our relationship whenever we weren't travelling to visit the other.

Two shoeboxes of things like receipts, tickets, letters is probably too much yes. Remember you need to upload this and there is not unlimited capacity.

Pull out your high quality evidence, proving joint financial commitments and address. Get some statements written up by yourselves and a few family members or friends. Put to one side the majority of the photos, tickets, receipts, cards, letters, Skype transcripts..

Keep some evidence back when you do apply so if you are asked for more you have it right there.

A close friend of mine arrived 189 PR with a same sex partner as dependant, pretty much provided the evidence you suggested (well a little less as they'd been living in a country where homosexuality is illegal) and were granted the visas without any problems. As long as you organise and provide reasonable evidence, then you will be treated the same as any other de facto partner. They also included a Statutory Declaration explaining their relationship and what evidence they'd provided.

Just ensure you upload the documents into pdf categories. Such at holiday receipts in 1 pdf file bank statements in 1 file and so on. You only get a certain upload limit 60 documents if i recall.

If you have all of that evidence dating back over 12 months then you should be absolutely fine. Providing you have no previous convictions or serious health issues.

In terms of the "Skype" things...just enough to prove that we spoke and maintained our relationship whenever we weren't travelling to visit the other.

To be blunt.. Skype logs prove nothing, not even Skype Account A interacted with Skype Account B -- there is no evidence that either one of you was part of the call.

I applied for a de-facto visa as I am in a same sex relationship (my partner is Australian) a few years back.

We didn't use a migration agent - didn't feel the need to and it saved us money. It was all very straightforward.

You have to make sure you have a lot of evidence to prove you are in a relationship.

We used photos/letters/cards/travel documents and tickets etc. If you have joint bills then that would help (we didn't though). Our friends and family also had to do statutory declarations as well.

We didn't have the option of being able to enter into a civil partnership or marriage then so I guess this is a extra bonus for you.

Good luck

Hi Staceymelling,

I'm in a lesbian relationship (partner is Australian) and we applied for the De Facto partner visa back in June 2015. We were granted the visa in Jan 2016 (very lucky as the wait time advised was 10-14 months) even though we've only lived together 5 months out of 1 year relationship. She was in Uk on WHV.

We registered our relationship in NSW during my stay in Oz May 2015 and also spoke to migration lawyers (Immigration solutions - who were brilliant). After I was back in the UK there was a mad rush to get the application ready before the price increase due July 2015.

Think you will have a high chance of getting your visa. Most important are the fact you've registered the relationship and that you've lived together more than a year (not essential but helps). Your statements and statements from friends/family helps (especially any that are Australian) and other financial evidence. Just need to show you are in a genuine relationship.

Don't think you would need a migration lawyer but would recommend immigration solution lawyers (based in Sydney) if you need one.

I'm due to fly out early June to finally be with her (long distance is no fun). Good luck and keep us posted!

How long have you been de facto for? That is the time they will want to see covered. Not the part where you were dating long distance. Don't even bother submitting anything from the dating stage as that isn't what they are after.

I am guessing you are on shore and therefore lodging an on shore partner visa. I don't think you've a need for an agent. The partner visa is pretty straightforward and so long as you have the supporting evidence etc and no medical or criminal woes that could spoil things, if should be ok.

Bungo is right IMO. Focus on the official evidence they will expect. If you have been de facto you should have this. Ie, both named on the lease of your rental, bills to one or both of you and showing you at the same address, bank statements (again, joint or individual accounts but to the same address), if you've a joint account even better, wills, life insurance policy, salary slips as they should have your address on, naming each other on your car insurance or the car rego (if you both run cars then use it). Holiday booking in both your names via a proper tourism agent or some such is fine to chuck in too.

Things like tickets to events, receipts for days/meals out etc are the padding and personally I see no need to include it in your application if you have all the other sort of evidence they require and given the fact you've registered your relationship in Aus (this is accepted as part of the partner visa application so will be useful).

You'll need passports, full birth certs, stat decs, your supporting statements, your medical and police checks at some point and a few other things.

Focus on uploading the official stuff. Add a few photos (a few not a dozen or more) and if you must then the other non essential things but don't do it till the end and only if you leave yourself room to upload more evidence over time as the on shore first stage can take 12-15 months to come through and closer to grant time they may want to see more evidence your relationship is ongoing. Be a shame if you've used up 10 pages on skype chats and receipts and don't have room to upload say recent joint bank statements showing your salaries being paid into it.

If you have been de facto for 22 months, include evidence to reflect this, ie a rental agreement starting from the first month say or a bill to each of you that first month, or a bank statement and include other months also. And include evidence to support your application for the 12 months prior to lodging (even with the registering relationship I'd do this if you have the evidence, better to be able to show it than not). So a bill or some such to one or both of you for each month at the same address. Bank statements for the 12 months (doesn't have to be all of them, just a page a month showing the date, address etc is useful). Even better if its a joint account and they can therefore see money going in from you both and out paying your bills etc. If you don't have joint accounts you can simply highlight where you transferred money between your accounts, ie show where you transferred money over to go toward the rent each month or pay the internet fee (and include a bill for it if you highlight it so the CO can see it showing up on the account).

Archived