Overweight?!?

Guest xxsweetpeaxx

Guest xxsweetpeaxx

A touchy subject I know!

Does anyone have any feedback regarding being overweight?!?!

Of course in relation to the medical checks. I am aware that it is mentioned on the government website that they will pay particular attention to this, and are looking at folk that have overweight type issues, eg, diabetes, high blood pressure etc.

So...has anyone come across this in their medicals, or know of someone who has? If they were healthy and had no weight related problems..were they asked to loose weight?? Did they get a visa?

Anyone know of anyone who did NOT get a visa due to being overweight, yet seemingly healthy?

Does anyone know where Aus draws the line between stocky and well boned to just plain old fat?!

The subject interested me as it is one of the few things actually listed as a no no on the gov website, and as I have read various posts mentioning the "robinson" case(i think!)...I wondered if being overweight and making an assumption this person is unhealthy came under the same criteria??

Looking forward to reading any comments!

Pea,x

I have read somewhere if you can get your bum into a quantas economy seat then you should be ok. Not much help I know sorry.

Never heard of the Robinson case though whats that?

Kaye :D

Guest xxsweetpeaxx

The Robinson case, is about a family that applied for a visa, to be turned down because their 8 yr old son had a mild form of downs syndrome.

They went to court to appeal and eventually won. They won because they argued that their son had been looked at in a very generalised manner.

It was assumed their son would be a drain on Aus rescources in his future and would need financial support, without looking at him as a total individual and just concentrating on his label of "downs syndrome"

http://www.austlii.edu.au//cgi-bin/disp.pl/au/cases/cth/federal_ct/2005/1626.html?query=Robinson

Here is the court report.

Thats what go me thinking about overweight folks. I work in the health service, most my collegues are technically "overweight" (not that i would dare say that to their faces!) But they work hard, all day usually without a break, doing heavy lifting and will probably live long healthy lives whether it be here or anywhere, yet if their weight was scrutinised and the health service set a limit there would be a severe staff shortage!

While I can understand the logic of allowing generally healthy folk in and keeping a careful eye on potential financial drains, what I am struggling to understand is how they can determine if someones weight will make them a financial drain in the future, as many people who are not overweight develop diabetes and high blood pressure. Of course there is going to be a percentage of people that develop an illness that no one could predict, but being overweight certainly isnt a given to poor health.

Anyone know the specifics of a quantas seat!?!?

Pea,x

There was an article in the paper a few months back about a woman refused a visa - she was already in Australia and had a partner (don't know if she was married) and children. She was refused because she was too thin - I have to say on the photo she looked about 12 years old and one of the chidren, and looked anorexic.

Ali

I would think that a good 50% of women applying for visas today, would be classed as being overweight. There's a big difference when it comes to obesity.

The Aus Government are looking at the long term, when they grant a visa, and it's most likely that obese people will eventually get heart problems, have strokes, and diabetes. Their view is that there are enough sick people here already, without bringing in more.

Koala

Guest ohippychick

When I had my medicals I was very obese (ok, still am). Very high BMI.

However, all other tests such as heart rate and blood pressure etc were good as I worked out a lot. I could also touch my toes which was another test. So it was no problem at all.

Weight in itself isn't an issue but, if you are over or under weight they will look at the other aspects, if they're clear then you pass !

I am actually a lot healthier than a number of people who have a normal BMI and I do believe that exercise and healthy eating is the key to that.

Guest xxsweetpeaxx

I'm very pleased to hear that ohippychick!

BMI has its place..but it is not law by any means, but sadly I have come across staff that think it is. A persons actual fitness MUST be considered regardless of whether the textbook says you are clinically obese.

Many women have had their abdomen stretched out of all proportion through growing children in it, which would not be taken into account when measuring BMI, and like yourself your ACTUAL fitness bears no relation to what the measuring tape, the BMI list and the scales say.

THIS is what my concern was about, I wanted to know do they follow this rule to the book or do they understand the BMI ruling is a guideline, and what peoples experiences of this have been.

Many Thanks

Pea,x

Guest jules29

when i had my medical my bmi was 30 which is classed as pre obese. the

doc said i was "on the cusp" of this being a problem if any of the other tests

had problems too. fortunately they didnt and we were granted the visa. i was

worried though - imagine not getting in cos u like the odd choc bar too many!

:D

when i had my medical my bmi was 30 which is classed as pre obese. the

doc said i was "on the cusp" of this being a problem if any of the other tests

had problems too. fortunately they didnt and we were granted the visa. i was

worried though - imagine not getting in cos u like the odd choc bar too many!

:D

My doctor said I was pre-obese even tho I'm a size 14 bottom and 16 top ( quite busty :oops: ) and my BMI was 28. Jeez I was gutted. I have had three kids so the doc can shove it :lol:

Lol xx

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE MAX BMI THEY WILL PASS

PLEASE

DAVID AND SHARON

Hi I did read somewhere that if it's over 40 the doc might want extra info ( dunno what ) but I don't know anyone that has been refused a visa. Sorry can't be of more help...Lol x

Guest jules29

im the same sizes but im small and ive also had 3 kids. know its a bit of a cop out but im quite happy with my size. mre important things to worry about

like moving the said 3 kids half way across the world :lol:

Archived