Regional Living - specifically Emerald

MiniCooper

So I've had an interview for a job prior to arriving. If I get it it will be a foot in the door. It's not necessarily where we want to live long term but would it be totally stupid to turn out on offer of employment?

Sods law though if i do get it we'll get loads of offers of employment in the locale we want and if I turned it down we'll not even get a call back.

What would you do? Emerald is 3 hours west of Rockhampton, old mining town in the middle of nowhere. It does have amenities and I assume it will have a real community feel.

So do we take a confirmed offer of employment (if it happens) or do we risk it, move to the place we want and hope for some casual/relief work that turns into something long term?

Not a bad town by any means. It has a great community spirit, is well serviced and has good schools.

Lake Maraboon is only a few km out and holds enormous quantities if yummy redclaw crayfish and squillions of good yellowbelly fish. The area also has some of the world's biggest and best sapphires. It is also one of the biggest citrus regions in Australia.

Cheers, Bobj.

Not a bad town by any means. It has a great community spirit, is well serviced and has good schools.

Lake Maraboon is only a few km out and holds enormous quantities if yummy redclaw crayfish and squillions of good yellowbelly fish. The area also has some of the world's biggest and best sapphires. It is also one of the biggest citrus regions in Australia.

Cheers, Bobj.

Thanks for the info Bobj. Have you lived there? I'm a little worried about my husband sourcing employment should we end up there. He is an engineer by trade and is also a qualified high school engineering teacher.

Never lived there but have visited many times, just to find the biggest sapphire, you know...

Just a few weeks ago, the Qld State Government announced that it would advertise in the UK for teachers due to a big shortage of teachers in all disciplines. So, I think it might be a good thing to make a few enquiries.

Good luck to you both, Bobj.

Never lived there but have visited many times, just to find the biggest sapphire, you know...

Just a few weeks ago, the Qld State Government announced that it would advertise in the UK for teachers due to a big shortage of teachers in all disciplines. So, I think it might be a good thing to make a few enquiries.

There are thousands of unemployed teachers in Queensland, by far the most in Australia. The shortage would be in rural and remote hard to staff areas.

Thank you Bobj. You have been most helpful.

Guest The Pom Queen
There are thousands of unemployed teachers in Queensland, by far the most in Australia. The shortage would be in rural and remote hard to staff areas.

Emerald is rural hence his comment

Emerald is rural hence his comment

Yes, I am aware of that.

However, it is not the OP's first choice location wise, hence my comment that getting a teaching position in Queensland in a sought after area is tough because there are thousands who are unemployed or on very short contracts. The OP was wondering whether to take it or not. All information is useful regarding the teaching situation.

Yes, I am aware of that.

However, it is not the OP's first choice location wise, hence my comment that getting a teaching position in Queensland in a sought after area is tough because there are thousands who are unemployed or on very short contracts. The OP was wondering whether to take it or not. All information is useful regarding the teaching situation.

I have done my research and I am aware of the current situation regarding teaching posts, however I am a shortage subject and there are many many teachers on this forum who have found positions once in Australia, Queensland too. When I started teaching in the UK, jobs were hard to come by, I did pretty well then so I'm not overly worried. Besides i've always fancied being a country bumpkin. As long as the spiders and snakes stay away I reckon i'll be fine

:)

I have done my research and I am aware of the current situation regarding teaching posts, however I am a shortage subject and there are many many teachers on this forum who have found positions once in Australia, Queensland too. When I started teaching in the UK, jobs were hard to come by, I did pretty well then so I'm not overly worried. Besides i've always fancied being a country bumpkin. As long as the spiders and snakes stay away I reckon i'll be fine

:)

Very best of luck, it is competitive out there. Things are really tough in Queensland unfortunately, but a positive attitude and a willingness to go rural/remote is great.

Private schools are also a very good way to go and it allows more choice of location. The situation in Queensland for permanency for government schools is crazy (especially regarding families). I have colleagues/friends going through it and trying to get a waiver for the three year rural/remote rule when permanency is offered.

Very best of luck, it is competitive out there. Things are really tough in Queensland unfortunately, but a positive attitude and a willingness to go rural/remote is great.

Private schools are also a very good way to go and it allows more choice of location. The situation in Queensland for permanency for government schools is crazy (especially regarding families). I have colleagues/friends going through it and trying to get a waiver for the three year rural/remote rule when permanency is offered.

Thanks Sammy, although I have applied for QCT I do plan to go through the private schools but sign up for both avenues just incase...you never know. Perhaps I could do a couple of years rural, get some Oz teaching experience and them move on. You never know, I might love it??? I have noticed a lot of 'contract' jobs but there are a few 'permanent' roles being advertised just now. Anyway thanks for the info. Much appreciated.:cute:

Archived