Transferring from working holiday (417) to employer sponsored (457) visa

nursealex

Hi,

Just looking for some advice, I travelled to Sydney on a working holiday visa, and I have been offered employer sponsorship on a 457 visa.

I'm wondering about the ease of transition between these visas, I have heard that I can't commence the 457 without first leaving and reentering the country, but I'm not sure if this is just a myth.

Has anyone else made this transition? Any advice appreciated :wink:

Thanks,

Alex

Hi,

Just looking for some advice, I travelled to Sydney on a working holiday visa, and I have been offered employer sponsorship on a 457 visa.

I'm wondering about the ease of transition between these visas, I have heard that I can't commence the 457 without first leaving and reentering the country, but I'm not sure if this is just a myth.

Has anyone else made this transition? Any advice appreciated :wink:

Thanks,

Alex

It isn't a transition per se. It is just a brand new, completely separate visa application. The 457 can be granted onshore, no need to leave the country.

In relation to moving from 417 to a 457, if the 457 isn't granted by the time the condition that you cannot work for longer than 6 months comes up, but the employer is the sponsor, do you have to cease employment with them until the 457 application has been processed and the outcome decided?

In relation to moving from 417 to a 457, if the 457 isn't granted by the time the condition that you cannot work for longer than 6 months comes up, but the employer is the sponsor, do you have to cease employment with them until the 457 application has been processed and the outcome decided?

Yes you would have to stop or you would be in breach of your visa, which is not a good idea especially when you are hoping to get a new visa. What you should do, is apply to have the restriction lifted, but you would need to do this in good time.

Another question, does anyone know whether I can use my medical examination certificate from my 417 for my 457 application, as it hasn't expired? My medical circumstances have not changed since I had the examinations. However, I don't know whether there is some restriction as I am now applying from within Australia rather than the UK. I can't seem to see anything on the website to answer my question.

Another question, does anyone know whether I can use my medical examination certificate from my 417 for my 457 application, as it hasn't expired? My medical circumstances have not changed since I had the examinations. However, I don't know whether there is some restriction as I am now applying from within Australia rather than the UK. I can't seem to see anything on the website to answer my question.

Gemble, do you know how to start new threads? I am just conscious that this is somebody else's thread and they might be interested in getting further responses still.